Stout carbonation level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle a standard Coopers Extra Stout into 750 ml longnecks.
Should I use a level teaspoon or slightly less? I'm just asking coz I've read somewhere that stout is better less fizzy.
Any tips please?
Thanks.

I would go about 3.5gm/Ltr as a carb ratio

Stout doesnt need a lot of carbination

Thanks for the reply Ducatistu.
So that's less than half of what Coopers recommend? They say 8gms per litre (6 gms per level tsp per bottle). I suspect that's their standard form for every beer.
So, if I just use my 1/2 measure I should be cool?
I don't want to screw this up as its a bit pricey, but more importantly tastes fantastic out of the fermenter!!
Thanks.

It is their standard amount for all beers. Unfortunately as we all know, different styles have differing carbonation levels so while it might suit lagers and pale beers, it doesn't suit stouts and the like. And then there is also personal preference that comes into it - you're brewing for you after all.

If I was you, I'd bottle a few of the bottles with different levels of carbonation and see which one you like the best, then you can use this going forward for that beer style. For the majority of them though, use the lower amount because a stout is more enjoyable with less carbonation than 8g/L will give, although I personally prefer it more around the 5g/L myself.

The prob with stout is that it slowly ferments for a long time, so you dont want to go overboard carbinating it if your going to leave them for lengthy periods of time

It really depends on your tastes.

I don' t like really gassy beer and I prefer the mouthfeel of something like stout when it is the body of the beer and the roast are talking on my tongue rather than fizzy bubbles. Do you like the fizz level of the commercial stuff? Where do your tastes sit generally? Many would find beers I like to be not fizzy enough.

I have found that a heavy bodied stout (high final gravity) wont carb up as much as a Pale using the same priming sugar ratio anyhow. Unless you want to wait a year. So like mentioned it depends on your preference. Cant realy give a black or white answer. I'd use the general priming ratio.

Hmmm, thanks Gentlemen.
I must say I quite like the carb level on theCoopers Extra stout.
How much to get it in that ballpark do you think?

4-5g/L would be my estimate going on the one I had last night.

Personally I wouldn't do 5 but I think I've stated why above.

Back