Storing recultured yeast temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in answer to the OP.. something we all agree on... cold.. fridge cold is good for a direct re-pitch, assuming you have sufficient quantity in good health for up to in the order of a few (3) weeks, its better practice though to pitch an active starter if you can, second (or better than depending on POV) to that is an active starter thats been left to ferment out and settle, pour off the beer and pitch the slurry..

many different ways to go about it as this robust discussion has seen... the way that suits your practices is going to be the best way for you, if you have the time, equipment and the patience, IMO you cant go past stepping up on a stir plate (or even bottle shaking if you can be arsed) and pitching yeast thats jumping out of the flask.

as the OP will be stepping up anyway, Id try to time it so it's ready at or before it's required for the pitch and not store it in the fridge at all.

1.85 ha' pennies

I take a hybrid approach. If I've got 2L of starter that I don't want to pitch, I chill and decant off the beer, but then prior to pitching I get the yeast going again in a much smaller volume (say 250 mL) and pitch that at high activity.

I take a hybrid approach. If I've got 2L of starter that I don't want to pitch, I chill and decant off the beer, but then prior to pitching I get the yeast going again in a much smaller volume (say 250 mL) and pitch that at high activity.

How long do you find getting it going again takes on average?

Matter of hours, if that, ive found with US05

Latest posts

Back