Storing fermented beer in cube.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipsyboy

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Over the next few months I'm going to be brewing a lot more beer than I'm drinking and I wondered if it's possible to store fermented beer in cubes for an extended period of time. I keg my beer and both are full at the moment and I don't want to go back to bottling.

If it is possible, where is the cheapest place to get myself a good few cubes? Preferably with tap already attached.

Cheers.

In case you are wondering, I'm doing a 12 week challenge to try to shift some of these 110kgs.

Storing it in cubes will allow oxygen to permeate over time and depending on how long you leave it, you will risk oxidation.
You also greatly increase your risk of infection if you transfer from the fermenter into the cube (assuming you don't ferment in the cube) and then into the keg.

Taking the comment literally and by itself: "...if it's possible to store fermented beer in cubes for an extended period of time", I think the answer is no, not for an extended period if you want good beer. I consider 'extended period' >2 months. Some use HDPE for hand pumped bitters and the like, but I doubt they'd store it like that for months.

depends on the temp your storing them at. ive done 4 months at 1 degree and it was fine.
saying that you need your sanitation spot on.

Just a thought...

Could you paint the outside of the cube with black (acrylic?) paint to help block the ingress of oxygen and to block out light?

you can buy fresh wort in cubes, that stuff seems to last a while, but they do depressurise and seal the container, if you could do the same it may work? alternately you could try pressurising slightly with co2? You would need a good seal either way.

CO2 pressure won't stop O2 getting in. The permability of hdpe is pretty good so the amount getting in must be miniscule. I have thought about storing in cubes and would not hesitate trying.

Wort and beer are a bit different. Oxygen is desirable for wort for fermentation, but not wanted after fermentation.
Barls soundslike he's on the money.

Feldon said:
Just a thought...

Could you paint the outside of the cube with black (acrylic?) paint to help block the ingress of oxygen and to block out light?
I asked several paint companies about this and not one of them would recommend a paint that would stick to HDPE.

Go to the Better Bottle web site. http://www.better-bottle.com/
There is PDF of The permeability of closures. At the end of the article is a table listing the permeability of plastics.
It appears that PET is considerably better than HDPE.

PET <1-1
HDPE 44-91

I've used these things from Bunnings quite successfully.

Useful for racking or like this one, just drinking.
They even hold a bit of pressure.
If I don't want it cold I can serve it straight from the tap. (bearing in mind I'm not a fizzy beer lover)

1409540971445.jpg

Why would low pressure oxygen enter a high pressure area?

gsouth said:
Sound like you need to invest in a few more kegs!
Yeah, I could do with a few more. I'll leave it to you to tell the Mrs.

Keeping them at <5* is a non starter so it looks like I'm going to just do a few batches and bottle them.

I might put 1 in a cube to test it out. Was thinking if I just sanitize the **** out of the cube and lid then just fill to overflowing.

Store them no chill, cubed and unfermented!, ferment when ready.

Beercus

Store them no chill, cubed and unfermented!, ferment when ready.

Yeah, I might do some that way. Was planning to go all grain soon anyway.

Will also do some kits and bits and bottle them.

In the UK (way back when) is was common to rack to a polypin (collapsible cube), add dry hops and sugar to carbonate, seal, leave a while to carbonate and drink. they'd keep a fair while (2 months was not uncommon) if sanitation was up to scratch, but if not then 20L of exploding infected beer is not pretty. I also think the ongoing fermentation, albeit slow helped scavenge the oxygen?

I do know that reading the thread linked above convinced me to go to SS fermenters. At least that was the excuse for SWMBO

Latest posts

Back