Storage Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xomz

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a pilsner in the final stages of fermentation(using Saflager S-23); currently dry-hopping. It has been fermenting in the fridge at 12C. I was wondering if the flavour will change drastically(for the worse) after I bottle & store at room temperature(approx. 18-22C). If so, does anyone have any suggestions on cool storage, apart from buying another fridge?

Hi all

I've got a pilsner in the final stages of fermentation(using Saflager S-23); currently dry-hopping. It has been fermenting in the fridge at 12C. I was wondering if the flavour will change drastically(for the worse) after I bottle & store at room temperature(approx. 18-22C). If so, does anyone have any suggestions on cool storage, apart from buying another fridge?

Hi Xomz,

I doubt that the flavor will change too much during the bottle carbonation and maturation stage if you have the bottles stored between 18 and 22 degrees (as the opposed to the 12 degree fermentation temperature). The "official" recommendation is that you store your bottles at whatever temp you brewed at, but I don't think there will be a huge difference in the final taste to the beer with what you are proposing. The main taste components of the beer have already been formed, and anything that may happen wrt taste with the bottle temp storage you are proposing will only have a minimal affect at worst. I'd just try and keep your beer in a dry spot out of the light where the temp is nice and stable.

If you want to be sure about the final result, the only recommendation I'd make is that you try and use dextrose rather than white cane sugar for priming. The dex will ferment out completely and not leave any residual flavors that may taint your beer. I have used carb drops and white sugar successfully myself without any adverse affects taste-wise, but if you want to be pedantic about it go with dex.

Sorry that this post wasn't answered sooner - have you bottled your brew already? If so what have you ended up doing?

Yeah, I only ask because I had a hefeweizen bottled & it tasted fantastic after just 5 days. Then the heatwave hit, & it sat in the bottles in 38-42C heat for 4 days & 3 nights. I'm currently in the process of tipping it all out, as it has turned in to vinigar. That whole experience just kind of made me a bit paranoid, I guess.

I use dextrose to prime. Have never used sugar, as I imagined it would make it taste off.

I'm probably going to bottle this coming Sunday. I may store a carton of it in an esky with 4-5 ice bricks & see how it turns out in comparison to the rest sitting in ambient temperature.

I honestly hope we don't cop another heatwave. I'm completely out of stock :(

Thanks for the response!

I think you copped an infection if your brew turned to vinegar in the bottle.

Living in the tropics my beer supply is stored at around 30+ or - all year round. It goes into the fridge one or two days before drinking.

The longest I have managed to keep a strong stout is 8 months but never had any problems like you describe. Most of my brews are mysteriously consumed within about 3 or 4 months maximum. The really good ones go even faster.

Primed with drops and now mostly Brigalow dex and those little plastic sugar measuring tools.

+1 for what TB has said, but I am sure that the sudden change in temp would have affected things as well. Beer can be a bit finicky like that, so if there is somewhere around the house that is out of the way and stable from a temp perspective then I think you'll be right. I personally have my wine and beer stored underneath my QLDer style house in spot that doesn't see any direct sunlight. There is a concrete floor which keeps the temp pretty steady, although the ambient temp is subject to the usual heating/cooling cycle through the day and overnight. I'm sure there would be somewhere suitable (either a cupboard in the laundry or underneath your house?) that would do the trick just nicely. While it can get hot up your way, there should be somewhere convenient in your house that you can stash your brews.

Sorry to hear about your hefeweizen. If there isn't some sort of infection present in the bottle prior to bottling, the only other thing that may contribute to this problem is having your bottles poorly sealed. While this would be wildly unlikely, I just draw a parallel with wine (forgive me now fellow AHBers, for I have sinned... :rolleyes: ). If you leave wine out after opening it will turn to vinegar through bacterial infection/oxidisation. If there is any air getting into your finished brew then the same thing could be happening. I know it's a long shot but thats my 2c... I'd be reviewing your sanitation and once you've got that right you should be laughing :icon_cheers:

Be a shame if it was an infection. I've got 12-13 extract brews under my belt & this would be the first infection.

See how I go this Sunday. Will double check my saniation, just to be safe.

Thanks again! :)

I've only done ales, mostly K&B and one extract. They have all sat in the shed through the heatwave a few weeks back and they are all still fine, the temp in the shed probably got to around the mid 30's.

Nathan

Latest posts

Back