Stopping A Ferment At A Sg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just wondering, now that I am kegging, if anyone ever stops a ferments at a specific gravity? If so would it just be a matter of racking straight to the keg and dropping the temp? I only ask as I was watching the Beer Hunter series last night and they say that at Pilnser Urquell they stop the ferment at 1.014. For me I have always done my best to get the final gravity as low as possible in all styles. I guess a light English Bitter with a OG of 1.040 you could stop at 1.012 maybe. Any thoughts?
What style would you want to stop a ferment and how do u do it?

Steve

Just wondering, now that I am kegging, if anyone ever stops a ferments at a specific gravity? If so would it just be a matter of racking straight to the keg and dropping the temp? I only ask as I was watching the Beer Hunter series last night and they say that at Pilnser Urquell they stop the ferment at 1.014. For me I have always done my best to get the final gravity as low as possible in all styles. I guess a light English Bitter with a OG of 1.040 you could stop at 1.012 maybe. Any thoughts?
What style would you want to stop a ferment and how do u do it?

Steve

Definetly worth a try to bring out some more sweetness and body - if thats what you want.

To stop a fermentation just rack to a boiler and boil for 1 min then rapidly chill and into the keg again. No yeast will survive that - I think it dies at 40 degs plus. Its an interesting idea. Id like some input from some one who knows more about the chemistry.

bear09 said:
To stop a fermentation just rack to a boiler and boil for 1 min then rapidly chill and into the keg again.
:blink:

Usually, you'll alter the carbohydrate profile of your wort (temp, liquor:grist, pH, divalent cations, malt and adjunct type, etc) and then choose a suitable yeast that'll stop where you want it to.

To stop a fermentation just rack to a boiler and boil for 1 min then rapidly chill and into the keg again. No yeast will survive that - I think it dies at 40 degs plus. Its an interesting idea. Id like some input from some one who knows more about the chemistry.

Ethanol boils at 82C, so you'd end up with tasty water, but not beer.

Commercial breweries arrest fermentation by crash cooling. You mentioned that you keg your beer, which is good. Don't prematurely stop fermentation if you bottle because you'll definitely have bottle grenades.

I definitely wouldnt boil it. I agree a crash cool and a filter would be better.

Sorry to drag up old threads but I had to make a comment on this older thread for those who go trudging through the archives (like me :) )

Artificial Preservatives will stop your yeasties from fermenting. Of course, you have to force carbonate, but if you're cool with that, it's the best option. HBS's usually have some yeast inhibitors in the winemaking section. Too easy.

Back