Stop Fermentaion By Crush Chill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
Hey,

I put down a Dr smurto golden ale. The efficiency I got was higher then I thought so OG was 1052 but the mash was 66 it dropped to 64 by the 90min mash. When I added the mashout it only came up to 75 so I didnt worry to much as I didnt think that would be to critical. Any way its been in fermenter a week and is now 1010 it still has a krausen but I dont want it to ferment any lower it tastes bloody awesome and dont want it to thin out any more. So can I crush chill to stop fermentation? I am kegging so I will CC for a week then transfer to keg and then put straight into the kegerator so it wont get above 3c once I CC.

Hey,

I put down a Dr smurto golden ale. The efficiency I got was higher then I thought so OG was 1052 but the mash was 66 it dropped to 64 by the 90min mash. When I added the mashout it only came up to 75 so I didnt worry to much as I didnt think that would be to critical. Any way its been in fermenter a week and is now 1010 it still has a krausen but I dont want it to ferment any lower it tastes bloody awesome and dont want it to thin out any more. So can I crush chill to stop fermentation? I am kegging so I will CC for a week then transfer to keg and then put straight into the kegerator so it wont get above 3c once I CC.
What temp did you ferment at. It prob wont go any lower anyway, prob best to leave a few more days and let yeast clean up after itself

There are good reasons to let ferment finish properly besides bottle bombs. What you are suggesting will work but the yeast won't get a chance to clean up fermentation byproducts.

I fermented at 18c I know it may only go a few more points if at all but will that affect it to much?? I will prob leave it a said it wont get a chance to clean up itself. prob the question to ask is was the mash or mash out temp the reason of lower FG. It prob wont matter to much that it goes a bit more just try get closer to target next time.

I fermented at 18c I know it may only go a few more points if at all but will that affect it to much?? I will prob leave it a said it wont get a chance to clean up itself. prob the question to ask is was the mash or mash out temp the reason of lower FG. It prob wont matter to much that it goes a bit more just try get closer to target next time.
I doubt the mashout temp would have affected it, at 75 its about right. I f anything an incorrect (lower) mashout may have made the fg higher (slightly). At 66 mash in, i would think that would have been about on the money. What OG were you aiming for?

64-66 isn't ridiculously low. Depending on yeast, you may still have a foam layer with no more attnuation likely to take place.

Was it 05? I've had remaining krausen with 05 after hitting FG many times. If concerned, rack to a secondary vessel (running the risk of taking the brew away from the yeast for clean-up) but I'd be inclined to leave as is 5 days, then cold condition.

If fermentation is complete then leaving it a day or so longer will not result in a gravity drop.
If fermentation is not complete and you pull it up by crash chilling you will have, at the very least a granny smith in every glass.

K

yeah I am going to leave any way every one has confirmed what I thought but thought id make sure anyway

Latest posts

Back