Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of stepping some grain to this bill, say 500g in total - 250g Carapils & 250g Crystal. Could this be a bit of an overkill or would it be a nice addition to the flavour and head retention?

500g of crystal type grains is too much.
250g would be the go.

I just use the carapils, I don't detect any crystal flavors in S&W Pacific Ale and the color is super pale. I could be wrong though, you could try some crystal and see how you go.

Shanta said:
Hello fellow brewers!

I can across this recipe and felt the need to share it on this website and also ask some questions in regards to it.

Recipe: 109 Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05 Yeast-Ale

Bring
4L of water and approx 520g of the light extract to the boil. Add 10g Galaxy hops, after 10 minutes add another 15g Galaxy hops, after another 10 minutes take off the heat and add the final 20g Galaxy Hops. I usually put the lid on the pot for the last 2 minutes so that the steam sterilizes the lid.

While this is boiling add a few litres of water to the fermenter and then the rest of the malt extract, stir thoroughly. Cool the pot in a sink of cold water and then add to the fermenter (I don't strain the hops out). Top up to 23L. Pitch the yeast and ferment at 18C. I bottled after 3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this recipe in mind I would like to try to add some grain to this bill can anyone recommend anything or any alterations that you believe might be worth while?

cheers
New Brewer here - Is it possible to use variations of the malt extract? ie - Mangrove Jacks or Black Rock? Will this make much difference to the end result?

Thanks for your help and the recipe! Hoping to brew this on Saturday.

Cheers

Hi Xander,

This is actually my recipe that was copied from another site. just use whatever brand malt extract that is available to you. Try to get light extract if you can to get a closer colour to the original. Also check the best-before's on the tins to try to get the freshest extract you can.

Cheers, Earle

earle said:
Hi Xander,

This is actually my recipe that was copied from another site. just use whatever brand malt extract that is available to you. Try to get light extract if you can to get a closer colour to the original. Also check the best-before's on the tins to try to get the freshest extract you can.

Cheers, Earle
Thanks Earle.

Did you have any success in adding any grain or any other variations, or is it best as it is?

Also - I've read some comments about galaxy pellets leaving a "grassy" note. Did this happen to you at all? At what stage did you dry hop and for how long?

Thanks again.

Xander said:
New Brewer here - Is it possible to use variations of the malt extract? ie - Mangrove Jacks or Black Rock? Will this make much difference to the end result?

Thanks for your help and the recipe! Hoping to brew this on Saturday.

Cheers
Any light and wheat will do but I'd definitely recommend Briess Liquid or Dry extract, either their golden light or pilsen would work but probably golden light. Any extract that is light will work though.

Re the grassy notes, galaxy usually only gives a grassy note if dry hopped too long so yoou shouldn't have to worry about it. Galaxy can also give off some harsh bitterness if boiled too long, some people say this occurs past 20 minutes but I keep galaxy additions to 15 minutes or less and get nothing but fruity goodness, the guys at stone and wood use late additions and supposedly a ton of dry hopping but I've gotten good results without the dry hop component

Nizmoose said:
Any light and wheat will do but I'd definitely recommend Briess Liquid or Dry extract, either their golden light or pilsen would work but probably golden light. Any extract that is light will work though.

Re the grassy notes, galaxy usually only gives a grassy note if dry hopped too long so yoou shouldn't have to worry about it. Galaxy can also give off some harsh bitterness if boiled too long, some people say this occurs past 20 minutes but I keep galaxy additions to 15 minutes or less and get nothing but fruity goodness, the guys at stone and wood use late additions and supposedly a ton of dry hopping but I've gotten good results without the dry hop component
Thanks Moose - I just read on Stone & wood site, that they dry hop after fermentation - http://stoneandwood.com.au/beers/pacific-ale/

How long would you suggest you leave the hops in for once you reach FG?

Xander said:
Thanks Moose - I just read on Stone & wood site, that they dry hop after fermentation - http://stoneandwood.com.au/beers/pacific-ale/

How long would you suggest you leave the hops in for once you reach FG?
some people say no longer than a week and other more like 3-5 days, I think 3 days is reasonable perhaps 4 but you should get all the aroma you're after in that time. Then off to cold crash and bottle. Some pro brewers actually recommend you do your cold crash before dry hopping, so if it reaches FG you could dry hop then put the fermenter into the fridge for 3 or 4 days then bottle, if youre not cold crashing then just chuck the hops in, wait three or four days then bottle :)

Nizmoose said:

2nded on all accounts. Pilsen malt extract (if you can get it) and wheat is the ideal combo IMHO but light and wheat will be fine otherwise. If you wanted to steep some grains you could go 250g of carapils to give it a little body and that fresh grain flavor. If you are worried about the harsh bitterness of the galaxy at 20 min why not try this;

30g of cascade @ 15min
30g of Galaxy @ 5min
15g of Galaxy - dry hopped once SG drops below 1.020 for 4 - 5 days.

I've done pretty much that and it turns out to be a cracker of a beer that's damn close to the real thing. The Passionfruit flavor of the galaxy is hugely dominant with the milder floral notes of the cascade in the background backing it up. You'd hardly know the cascade was there except for the smoother bitterness.

Loads of aroma from the 15g dry hop too, after 3 weeks you crack the bottle you can't miss that S&W smell.

menoetes said:
2nded on all accounts. Pilsen malt extract (if you can get it) and wheat is the ideal combo IMHO but light and wheat will be fine otherwise. If you wanted to steep some grains you could go 250g of carapils to give it a little body and that fresh grain flavor. If you are worried about the harsh bitterness of the galaxy at 20 min why not try this;

30g of cascade @ 15min
30g of Galaxy @ 5min
15g of Galaxy - dry hopped once SG drops below 1.020 for 4 - 5 days.

I've done pretty much that and it turns out to be a cracker of a beer that's damn close to the real thing. The Passionfruit flavor of the galaxy is hugely dominant with the milder floral notes of the cascade in the background backing it up. You'd hardly know the cascade was there except for the smoother bitterness.

Loads of aroma from the 15g dry hop too, after 3 weeks you crack the bottle you can't miss that S&W smell.
Awesome! That's a lot for that!

Cheers

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Galaxy = grass when dry hopped. I did it once, never again.

Whereas I love it at 10minutes - lots of passionfruit.
Ive just finished putting a batch of Coopers lager in my FV.
I wanted to try something different, but not too boring, so I added 1kg of Dex, 250g of light wheat spraymalt that I had left over and I steeped 10g of Galaxy finishing hops (tea bag) in 300mls of water and added to the wort (bag and all) before I pitched the Saflager S-23 yeast.
should I not have done this with Galaxy?

This is my clone, AG.

Everyone who's tried it alongside the commercial, can't taste the different other than the freshness. Not a horn blow, just the feedback I've received.

Boulders and Tinder (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

59.57% Pale Ale Malt
38.3% Wheat Malt
2.13% Carapils (Dextrine)

0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.2 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Dry hop with 60 grams on Day 7.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Hey All

I threw this one down on Saturday 3rd January and started noticing some weird rubbery off tastes after a couple of days. I started thinking yeast autolysis, but kept it going and dry-hopped on Sunday 10th January with 15g of Galaxy. After reading up a bit about autolysis it seems it would be such a vile taste/smell that I couldn't even get near it. I tasted it yesterday and the rubbery taste has just about vanished, but I can barely detect any Galaxy taste, and no aroma even after dry-hopping.

I followed the recipe below:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

Bring
4L of water and approx 520g of the light extract to the boil. Add 10g Galaxy hops, after 10 minutes add another 15g Galaxy hops, after another 10 minutes take off the heat and add the final 20g Galaxy Hops. I usually put the lid on the pot for the last 2 minutes so that the steam sterilizes the lid.

While this is boiling add a few litres of water to the fermenter and then the rest of the malt extract, stir thoroughly. Cool the pot in a sink of cold water and then add to the fermenter (I don't strain the hops out). Top up to 23L. Pitch the yeast and ferment at 18C. I bottled after 3 weeks.

The only thing I can think affected it was that I re-hydrated the US05 in warm water and then pitched into the 18C fermenter after stirring vigorously to aerate the wort. Maybe I've done something to the yeast when re-hydrating? I usually just sprinkle from the packet and forget it, but I thought as I'd bought the better yeast I should put in a bit more effort. I followed the rest of this recipe to the letter.

Anyone had this issue with this recipe?

Unfortunately I didn't take any hydro samples as I dropped my hydrometer the day before putting the brew down and smashed it. I'm going to cold crash tonight and keg it on Saturday night so we'll see how it goes. If it still has a weak flavour by then I might just smash it with the remaining galaxy pellets in the freezer...

Bob_Loblaw said:
Hey All

I threw this one down on Saturday 3rd January and started noticing some weird rubbery off tastes after a couple of days. I started thinking yeast autolysis, but kept it going and dry-hopped on Sunday 10th January with 15g of Galaxy. After reading up a bit about autolysis it seems it would be such a vile taste/smell that I couldn't even get near it. I tasted it yesterday and the rubbery taste has just about vanished, but I can barely detect any Galaxy taste, and no aroma even after dry-hopping.

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

Bring

The only thing I can think affected it was that I re-hydrated the US05 in warm water and then pitched into the 18C fermenter after stirring vigorously to aerate the wort. Maybe I've done something to the yeast when re-hydrating? I usually just sprinkle from the packet and forget it, but I thought as I'd bought the better yeast I should put in a bit more effort. I followed the rest of this recipe to the letter.

Unfortunately I didn't take any hydro samples as I dropped my hydrometer the day before putting the brew down and smashed it. I'm going to cold crash tonight and keg it on Saturday night so we'll see how it goes. If it still has a weak flavour by then I might just smash it with the remaining galaxy pellets in the freezer...
I did a similar recipe not so long ago (1 week bottle conditioning so far) I had no such issues. My only thought so far is to ask, did you get your water from a garden hose, or different source to normal. I can tell you ( luckily I'VE not done it) water from a garden hose can kill any beer(rubber flavour), or did you store your water in a new container before adding it to your ferementer?

slcmorro said:
This is my clone, AG.

Everyone who's tried it alongside the commercial, can't taste the different other than the freshness. Not a horn blow, just the feedback I've received.

Boulders and Tinder (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

59.57% Pale Ale Malt
38.3% Wheat Malt
2.13% Carapils (Dextrine)

0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.2 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Dry hop with 60 grams on Day 7.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
Awesome!, I was struggling to think of what to brew this weekend and I rekon this might be it.

Is the 0 minute addition Cube or Whirlpool hops? Flowers or pellets?

Cheers,
Pete

Bob_Loblaw said:
Hey All

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

Bring

I'm going to guess your lack of aroma is from your addition timing, 20 minutes is going to produce a bit of a harsh bitterness in the flavour from galaxy and isn't going to give you the nice fruity flavour, then your 10 and 0 minute additions aren't big enough, I'd double your zero minute, keep the ten and do at least 20g at 5 minutes at a rough guess

slcmorro said:
This is my clone, AG.Everyone who's tried it alongside the commercial, can't taste the different other than the freshness. Not a horn blow, just the feedback I've received. Boulders and Tinder (American Pale Ale) Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted) 59.57% Pale Ale Malt38.3% Wheat Malt2.13% Carapils (Dextrine) 0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)0.4 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) 0.2 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil) Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05Dry hop with 60 grams on Day 7. Recipe Generated with BrewMate

What's your dry hop as g/L? Or what size batch is that?

burrster said:
I did a similar recipe not so long ago (1 week bottle conditioning so far) I had no such issues. My only thought so far is to ask, did you get your water from a garden hose, or different source to normal. I can tell you ( luckily I'VE not done it) water from a garden hose can kill any beer(rubber flavour), or did you store your water in a new container before adding it to your ferementer?
Straight out of the tap and used one of the empty extract tins to fill up the fermenter. I've had this rubbery flavour before when I've left a fermenter for too long in the garage, but this has been in a temp controlled fridge since day one.

Will see how it goes after cold crash.

Pistolpete01 said:
Awesome!, I was struggling to think of what to brew this weekend and I rekon this might be it.

Is the 0 minute addition Cube or Whirlpool hops? Flowers or pellets?

Cheers,
Pete
0 minutes is flameout, and I also dry hopped with 60gm on Day7. All pellets mate.

Doesn't matter what size batch, as the percentages and G/pl remain the same. FWIW though, I made 23L with 2.8kg Pale, 1.8kg Wheat and 100gm Dextrine - 10gm Galaxy @ 30, 10gm Galaxy @ 0, 60gm Galaxy dry.

Latest posts

Back