Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jrrj said:
Thanks Dan - I've been wondering about the yeast on this beer for months. My first clone attempt I just used US05 but, like you, I didn't feel like it was the right yeast. Because of other issues with that batch, I couldn't properly assess whether the yeast worked.

Another of your points that resonates with me is the sulfur - that is something I really enjoy about the commercial version, it just works so well for me in hot weather. I wasn't sure if it was yeast-driven or if they created it in the water.

I will definitely try your suggestion of Wyeast 2565 next time. The other thing I was planning to do and will eventually get around to is try to re-culture the bottle-yeast. I figure that way I can tell if the yeast gives me that flavour or if water-modification is needed too.
FWIW....(and yes, I know what the brewery says, but they must keep some secrets)....

I've been using Kolsch yeast on S & W pacific ale clone for a while now and I get much closer to the real thing than with US05. I ferment at about 22-23 degrees.

I add hops only at 20 minute in the boiler and at the end via a hoprocket to end up with wort at about 16 IBUs. Then I dry hop at about 2 gm/litre for 5 days - after 3 days of fermentation.

The other thing I've noticed very recently with S & W PA is an additional taste / aroma of guava (on top of the galaxy/passionfruit). Anybody else get this?

My guess (which I plan to try soon) is a little Mosaic in the dry hop mix.

Matplat said:
and sodium metabisulphite in the mash???

I don't have quite enough galaxy to do this, but might get close with a Topaz top up....
I've heard that they supplement some of the galaxy with Nelson sauvin, so why not

I kegged my pacific ale clone on Friday morning and have had it on 30psi since then, ready for Christmas Day. I did a side by side comparison with the real thing tonight. I'm pretty sure I got a skunked bottle, so can't really comment on flavour, but the real thing was slightly lighter in colour and lighter on the nose. Mine is tasting great.

60% Gladfield American Ale
40% Gladfield Wheat

6g Galaxy 5min
31g Galaxy Flameout (30min whirlpool/hop stand)
85g dry hop (7 days after start of ferment and 4 days prior to cold crash)

US-05 (2 packs)

22 IBU, 4.7% (1.046 down to 1.010).

mattyg8 said:
Whats the go with hop mash?
Chuck the hops in the mash

Only done it once in a Jannets Brown ale it didnt hurt it

Google it I think it gives a smooth bitterness others say a waste of time ???

What is the consensus on dry hopping (varieties and rates) for the current commercial version of this S&W PA?

I know early on the consensus was all Galaxy, but that seems to have changed more recently.

I’m planning to have another go for this summer, trying to improve on some of my past issues including: particularly that I couldn’t get the light colour, low final pH and a stable flavour all in the same batch.

I’m hopeful the solution to the colour issue is using pilsner instead of ale malt, and that the pH will be solved by adjusting water with phosphoric acid as well as the standard salts. I also assume they use a short boil.

Try This....

Attachments

• Pacific Ale_2Aug 2017.png
    Pacific Ale_2Aug 2017.png
    257.3 KB · Views: 679
Thanks Mark,

Was the first time I heard you seriously like one of my beers and I have known you a long time.

Here's a better image hopefully.

Pacific Ale_3_cropped.png

Thanks for sharing your recipes guys. I'm going to have a crack at a Pacific Ale this weekend with the beer going to my brother (it's his favourite drop and I owe him a favour or two).

@MHB strikes me as a genuine wealth of knowledge when it comes to brewing, so when he says a recipe is the duck's guts, I'll sit up and listen.

@Brewman_ regarding your hops schedule - is the 26g aroma addition of Galaxy a hopstand addition on brew day, or a dry hop addition in the fermenter?

Last edited:
I'm drinking this now, the aroma addition is dry hop. I did one batch with Notto yeast and another with US-05, just to see the difference.

I'm drinking this now, the aroma addition is dry hop. I did one batch with Notto yeast and another with US-05, just to see the difference.

Cheers mate. What was your preference with yeasts? More specifically, which one was closer to the S&W Pacific Ale?

Still on the Notto version, it is more of an English ale yeast but supposed to be pretty neutral. I have done other versions of S&W using US-05 and they have been great. I had some Notto and felt reckless.

Thanks for sharing your recipes guys. I'm going to have a crack at a Pacific Ale this weekend with the beer going to my brother (it's his favourite drop and I owe him a favour or two).

@MHB strikes me as a genuine wealth of knowledge when it comes to brewing, so when he says a recipe is the duck's guts, I'll sit up and listen.

@Brewman_ regarding your hops schedule - is the 26g aroma addition of Galaxy a hopstand addition on brew day, or a dry hop addition in the fermenter?
The Aroma addition is a fermenter Dry Hop addition.

Hope you like it.

Cheers Steve

Oh on the yeast. I think the brewery use US05. That is what I always use and find it works perfectly for this beer

Brewery definitely use US05
An ex S&W brewer commented a recipe I posted on Facebook (based off Snow's recipe) and confirmed 22 IBU, 4.4% ABV & fermented with US05

The Aroma addition is a fermenter Dry Hop addition.

Hope you like it.

Cheers Steve

I brewed this a few weeks ago and although it's very clean and drinkable, my brew is definitely not as good as a S&W PA. It's a bit on the thin side, not quite as hoppy and lacks the crispness of the original.

I hit an OG of 1.053 and an FG of 1.008, giving an approximate ABV of 5.9%. I pitched with US05 at 20°, dropped it within 8 hours to 18° for the next 3 days, then ramped up by a degree every day until it hit 22°.

Earlier in the thread @MHB said that having a high efficiency will hurt smaller beers, leaving them thin. Exactly what's happened with mine.

How can I make this a fuller bodied beer and how can I improve the crispness? Any help would be genuinely appreciated.

Latest posts

Back