Still Fermenting After 1 Month?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkmad

Reaction score
G'day, this is a question for my dad. He put a 3kg ESB can of american pale ale about a month ago and he reckons that its still fermenting. It was an old can that I gave him about 2 years ago, and he used the yeast that came with it (probably S04 or US05 - he can't remember). Normally I'd say it must be done, but he reckons there's still a krausen on the wort. He also reckons the yeast cake is now above the tap, its so thick. Anyone had anything like this happen before? And before anyone asks, I've asked him to go and buy a hydrometer - he's more of a ferment for a week and then bottle kind of bloke.

G'day, this is a question for my dad. He put a 3kg ESB can of american pale ale about a month ago and he reckons that its still fermenting. It was an old can that I gave him about 2 years ago, and he used the yeast that came with it (probably S04 or US05 - he can't remember). Normally I'd say it must be done, but he reckons there's still a krausen on the wort. He also reckons the yeast cake is now above the tap, its so thick. Anyone had anything like this happen before? And before anyone asks, I've asked him to go and buy a hydrometer - he's more of a ferment for a week and then bottle kind of bloke.

It was probably done about 3 weeks ago. If he doesnt want to use a hydrometer to double check (I dont either) tell him to bottle it.
Cheers
Steve

US-05 on a tin? That's news to me.

The krausen won't necessary fully fall back into the beer, and of course the airlock is a poor indication of fermentation.

Can't tell much else without a hydrometer, he shouldn't be brewing without one if he doesn't know when 'done' is.

I've frequently had a yeastcake that covers the tap. Give the fermenter a decent but gentle swirl to kick the yeastcake back up a bit, then prop up the front with a block of wood. When the yeast settles back down to the yeastcake the tap should be clear.

Ok thanks fella's. Hopefully he will go and get a hydrometer and it should sort him out. In the meantime I'll tell him to bottle it.

I think its just the fact that there's still a krausen thats confused both him and I. I didn't realise that it doesn't always fall back into the wort.

Cheers,
BK

Tis true, Quantum Brewer, ESB kits come with Saf yeasts under the lid.

Tis true, Quantum Brewer, ESB kits come with Saf yeasts under the lid.

I know some years back the 3kg kits used to have saf yeasts under the lid. Although there was one HBS proprietor I know of who used to exchange the saf yeast supplied with the kit for mauri 514. The saf yeasts would then be sold as individual items.

I would have a taste test, 1 month sounds like an infection; but also as the rest have said, take a hydro reading.

QldKev

I would have a taste test, 1 month sounds like an infection; but also as the rest have said, take a hydro reading.

QldKev
Yeah I thought the same so told him to give it a taste. He reckons it tastes ok, and despite the krausen, its nice and clear so its getting bottled tonight. Thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers,
BK

Back