Steeping, Not Mashing Oats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staggalee

Reaction score
Anyone just steeped and not mashed rolled oats?
I know there`s the problem of starch haze if you just steep them, but a couple of blokes have insisted to me there`s a big risk of stuck ferment and later bottle bombs by not mashing.
BYO did an article on it long ago, with an outcome of yes you can, no you can`t :huh:
Starch haze wouldn`t worry me, but glass bombs would.
So, has anyone got lazy and just steeped them?
Thanks

stagga.

Why not just steep them for an hour at 64-67C mixed with their own weight of cracked base malt?

Anyone just steeped and not mashed rolled oats?
I know there`s the problem of starch haze if you just steep them, but a couple of blokes have insisted to me there`s a big risk of stuck ferment and later bottle bombs by not mashing.
BYO did an article on it long ago, with an outcome of yes you can, no you can`t :huh:
Starch haze wouldn`t worry me, but glass bombs would.
So, has anyone got lazy and just steeped them?
Thanks

stagga.
Well of course you can steep them, but it makes as much sense as steeping your barley. You won't get much in the way of fermentable extract (and hence the starch).

Even for grains that can be steeped (ie crystals et al) you get much better extraction by adding to the mash compared to steeping alone. Palmer's How To Brew (on-line version) has a table that shows extract for various grain based on steeping and mashing, have a read of it, good learnings in there.

hazard

Yes, but I`m thinking an extract and specialty grain beer, with the oats added to the steep, not ag or partial mash.
stagga.

Umm... so why? It'll be just like adding flour, and it will lend the taste of raw oats too...

So, when is the meeting? B) (check the forum this is posted in)

Yes, but I`m thinking an extract and specialty grain beer, with the oats added to the steep, not ag or partial mash.
stagga.

If you're only using 200-300g of Oats, 200-300g of base malt won't alter your recipe drastically and the process is much the same as just steeping, with all the benefits hazard pointed out. You don't need to keep the temp perfect, just at a temperature that the malt's enzymes will work on the oaty starches.

Umm... so why? It'll be just like adding flour, and it will lend the taste of raw oats too...

So, when is the meeting? B) (check the forum this is posted in)

Just pm`d you re. the meeting, since it`s all hush hush .

stagga.

Latest posts

Back