Steam Powered Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastspud

Reaction score
I found this today mucking around.

This guy has a corny keg modified as a steam boiler and he uses that to heat up his strike water and step mash.
I reckon it pretty cool, he uses a normal burner for the boil though

Anyone out there use steam in their brewery's?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this today mucking around.

This guy has a corny keg modified as a steam boiler and he uses that to heat up his strike water and step mash.
I reckon it pretty cool, he uses a normal burner for the boil though

Anyone out there use steam in their brewery's?

Great find.

Here's something else to get you thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been looking at the idea of using a large coffee machine boiler i have (13L) for a possible mash heater instead of herms or rims.
thats about 8L of water and 5l of steam under normal coffee use

part of the issue is that i would need to figure out how to enure the water level stays at the correct (or near) level once modified to the brew rig
a. use the electronic auto fill module
b. use a sight glass and manual fill

heat up time on the boiler would be about 20-30mins to steam pressure but it might be possible to also use it as a heat exchanger for heating mash water for mash in etc.
or maybe use steam to bring the mash water up to temp ?

the boiler i have is 15amp but i have a dedicated 15amp line in my brew zone so thats not an issue

one benefit of the coffee boiler is it has the Sirai pressure control and safety valves built in and is a pressure vessel to begin with for steam

I have a 50l boiler that is multi use. One of the uses is as a gas fired steam generator for my 160l mash pot. I built it in this configuration for mashing cereals (corn in particular)

boiler12.jpg

boiler13.jpg

boiler14.jpg

boiler15.jpg

boiler16.jpg

I also have a 50l keg that is modified with an 8" ferrule for a 15 psi pressure cooker for mycology work..

pressurecanner8.jpg

Latest posts

Back