Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my STC-1000 unit going on the weekend and was wondering;

Does anyone know how to calibrate these units?

F4 in the menu is for calibration but I can't find any info on how it works.

Do you have a calibrated thermometer? If so just compare the reading of the thermo and STC-1000, adjust F4 until they are displaying the same value.

Thanks for the tip guys.
Totally forgot to double check calibration comparison for accuracy.
Just assumed such an accurate bit of kit would be on the money.Maybe not yeh?
Daz

I've seen a comparison showing 2 STC-1000's (or similar - fridgemate etc) in the same environment showing a difference of 0.4 degrees.

While it's not a huge difference and within the unit's accuracy tolerances, I just thought if it's a simple excerise to calibrate the unit then why not give it a shot!

so just to ask a dumbass question, can you use these to control a heat and a cooling source at the same time?

yes - you set the desired target temp and as long as you've got something wired up to the heat side and the cool side it will do what it needs to do to keep it at the right temp. Handy little bit of kit.

Connected my STC1000 today, but buggered if I can get the thing to operate. Have checked the F1, F2 & F3 coordinates, and tested with both a fridge and a lamp. Once the set temp is reached, there is a click in the device, so something is switching, but its not triggering the external device. Is there a trick Im missing or should I re-inspect the wiring ?

Connected my STC1000 today, but buggered if I can get the thing to operate. Have checked the F1, F2 & F3 coordinates, and tested with both a fridge and a lamp. Once the set temp is reached, there is a click in the device, so something is switching, but its not triggering the external device. Is there a trick Im missing or should I re-inspect the wiring ?

Could be the set "delay time" before she kicks in. Try again and wait a little longer than the delay time. That's all I could suggest.Good luck. Its not that hard the remedy will be simple.
Daz

Does the light come on to indicate that it's heating?

The clicking sound will be the internal relay pulling in.

Are you sure you have it correctly wired???

The heating and cooling terminal are either side of a set of contacts, not a pair of outputs.

Also, don't forget that you're dealing with mains, so if it's not wired correctly it could be dangerous.

Cheers to DKS for following me up on this.

Well I checked the delay time, set at 3 minutes. When the device is turned on the cool LED flashes, then the relay switches over, and the cool LED stay onbut does not turn the device on - Im using a lamp as a test).

When I hit the set temp using a glass of iced water, the cool LED goes off. Once it drops below the range setting of 0.5 degree the heating light comes on.

Here is an attempt to present the wiring in photoshop. Any ideas where it might be failing.

NOTE TO READERS: THIS IS POSTED AS A QUERY FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS DIAGRAM FOR YOUR OWN INSTALLATION.

wiring.gif

Cheers to DKS for following me up on this.

Well I checked the delay time, set at 3 minutes. When the device is turned on the cool LED flashes, then the relay switches over, and the cool LED stay onbut does not turn the device on - Im using a lamp as a test).

When I hit the set temp using a glass of iced water, the cool LED goes off. Once it drops below the range setting of 0.5 degree the heating light comes on.

If I'm getting this right......Sounds like the sensor is colder than the set temp so switch wont signal to cool any more. Try puting the sensor into luke warm water and re run start up. Wait your 3mins after that click of the relay. Fingers crossed. Otherwise hit it with a big hammer. :p
Daz

Here is an attempt to present the wiring in photoshop. Any ideas where it might be failing.

NOTE TO READERS: THIS IS POSTED AS A QUERY FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS DIAGRAM FOR YOUR OWN INSTALLATION.

View attachment 41875
Quick answer... WRONG!
Will get you a better answer shortly if no-one beats me too it.

View attachment 41875

your out neutral should go to 2 with the other neutral, your out live goes to 8 and live in 1 should be looped to 7. Also connect the earth wires.. Job done!!

OK Pizza ordered.
Now the active goes to terminals 1,5 and 7.
Neutral goes to terminal 2 and the neutral terminals on the back of your sockets.
From terminal 6 you run a wire to the active terminal on your heating socket and from terminal 8 to the active of your cooling socket.
There is a diagram somewhere but I don't have the time or patience to search for it at the moment.

I will say that given your first attempt I would advise against you using this until you have it checked by someone qualified.

Cheers
Nige

Latest posts

Back