Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
anyone know where i can get a housing for one of these little units?

Cheers

I just did up a wiring diagram in case it's helpful. Please someone tell me if it is wrong (for everyone's sake)!!!

Looks ok to me. Nice graphics on the piccie too!

Yep looks like its all correct to me.
I changed it a bit as i found the diagram might be a bit confusing for first timers.
Bit of a quick job so its a bit messy, but everyone should get the point.

Cheers
stc_1000.jpg
I just did up a wiring diagram in case it's helpful. Please someone tell me if it is wrong (for everyone's sake)!!!

The neutral should feed into 6 and 8, not 5 and 7. Otherwise you may reduce the life of the switching components. Refer wood88 diagram.

QldKev

I didn't realise how the innards worked well enough it seems. Thanks for the feedback; I've changed the diagram a bit so that the active lead goes to the correct places. It's now equivalent to wood88's diagram, except that mine doesn't show the wire joiners.

Thanks again for the feedback.

The neutral should feed into 6 and 8, not 5 and 7. Otherwise you may reduce the life of the switching components. Refer wood88 diagram.

QldKev

It doesnt matter which terminal it goes to but it should be the active that you are switching not the neutral very bad practice to switch neutrals

It doesnt matter which terminal it goes to but it should be the active that you are switching not the neutral very bad practice to switch neutrals

Yeah, that's the active I'm switching. I assumed that QldKev had a slip of the keyboard when he said neutral.

Sorry, but why post a wiring diagram to help people with the comments afterwards, "please tell me if it's wrong?"
If you aren't qualified to know the answer please DON'T POST!!! Electrical advice is not for guessing.

Ross

Sorry, but why post a wiring diagram to help people with the comments afterwards, "please tell me if it's wrong?"
If you aren't qualified to know the answer please DON'T POST!!! Electrical advice is not for guessing.

Ross

True I'm not a qualified sparky, but I knew the diagram would work. What I wasn't sure of was whether some nuance of the internal circuit existed which meant some variation would be better. The advice that the active wire should go to 6 and 8 instead of 5 and 7 was the sort of thing I was after. I wasn't about to post something that would risk lives, but I was inviting comments in case my suggestion would reduce the longevity of the unit (for example).

Point taken though, and I'm sorry for the confusion.

Hi guys,
i've got a couple of these.

Does anyone know if the temp probe is waterproof. I'd like to use them to measure mash and sparge, and would prefer them to be in direct contact rather than in a thermowell.

i've done a search and emailed the guy from ebay, but am waiting for a reply.
cheers,
Al

They should be waterproof, Its sold for use in aquariums.

Not sure I'd trust it at mash / sparge temps though.

yeah, probably best not using it at 70+ degrees. I just bought a stainless probe craft brewer, so hopefully that'll work with the STC1000.
Cost more than the unit, but will be easier to use in my system anyway.

If anyones interested, i just received the reply from quality_link2000 on ebay.

Yes, the probe is waterproof and anti-rusty too. 80c is OK too because it is within the temperature range.

However i didnt ask if it was food grade, i doubt it is.

Im still getting my stainless steel probe for my herms, but i may just use my other probe for my sparge water. If that dies, well ive still got a spare, and i wont do that again.

Cheers,
Al

He will supply spare probes if you ask. I think they were $3.50 ea.

I bought a couple to replace the tired & malfunctioning fridgemate & tempmate probes.

Back