Starting Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make up 6 bottles , and you will need to do it now if your going to use it to brew in a week.

Batz

Thanks Batz, Will get started later today

Great Information and description!

I think i found some answers to some of my questions above.

Does this method sound valid as an alternative to that listed by Batz.

I was going to get the yeast going same as Batz detailed however rather than stepping the starter up, I was planning to pour off about 800-1000 mills of my 1.5 litre starter into my wort and then storing the remaining yeast in the fridge. then each time I need to use it start it up again to the 1.5 litre level and pitch 800-1000 mills. I plan to do this about 5-6 times?

Any comments would be great.

Hi cubbie,

Have a read of the method that Grumpy's advise on their site for using liqiud yeasts.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=9

It is similar to what you just mentioned and it is faily convenient.
I used to do them that way until Batz posted his method.
Both work and both have advantages over each other.
If you have fridge space then the Batz method is good and it gives you yeasts to be able to swap with others.
If space is a problem then the Grump's method is good.

Cheers

Hi All,

Yesterday I pitched my first liquid yeast following Batz instructions. I woke up this morning (18 hours later) and I have found activity. (see pic below... correct me if I am wrong please).

Now is it the time to step-up the mixture by boiling 1.5 litres of water and disolving 100 grams of dried malt into it as I did yesterday?

Then once this is cooled, add it to the bottle and let it sit over night again.

Then when tomorrow comes, I will have more activity and it will be time to bottle so I pour the mixture evenly into little bottles, label and wack them in the fridge.

QUESTIONS: Should I be shaking the bottle before pouring the mixture into the little bottles I have so the yeast within is evenly distributed?

I have gone out and bought 12 X 350ml water bottles which I will have drunk by then and sterilized. Can I use up to the 12 bottles or is it recommended to stay around 6.

When I am ready to pitch my first yeast, I take it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature, boil 1.5 litres of water and dissolve DME into it, cool and then add together with the yeast cultured bottle from the fridge. Then I pitch this ontop of my wort. (correct?)

Thanks, I just wanted to note what I am about to do and check to see if I have missed out on anything. Comments Appreciated.

liquid_yeast.jpg

QUESTIONS: Should I be shaking the bottle before pouring the mixture into the little bottles I have so the yeast within is evenly distributed?

I have gone out and bought 12 X 350ml water bottles which I will have drunk by then and sterilized. Can I use up to the 12 bottles or is it recommended to stay around 6.

When I am ready to pitch my first yeast, I take it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature, boil 1.5 litres of water and dissolve DME into it, cool and then add together with the yeast cultured bottle from the fridge. Then I pitch this ontop of my wort. (correct?)

That's how I'm doing mine sluggerdog.

After the second addition of DME is added (100gms/1L) it sits for 48 hours, before giving it a good shake and seperating into your bottles. I'm using longnecks, so they are then capped and put in the fridge. I was told 3 days before brewing to take it out of the fridge and bring it back to room temperature before adding more DME to restart, but I've found that high krausen is around the second day which is when I would like to pitch. I guess though it is temperature related.

Cheers.

Slugger, if you are going to bottle these and fridge them for later I would advise that you wait until it is fermented out otherwise you will have 6 hand grenades in your fridge! (if you are using lager yeast you will definately be in strife). Airlocks on your pet bottle are good for this.

Before bottling shake (gently!) to distrubute the yeast.

Thanks will get onto steping up the mixture after lunch.

Jason - How long approx will it take for the yeast to ferment out so I can then place the bottles in the fridge? I will have added 200 grams of DME and 2.5 litres of water.. a few days or more?

I am using a lager yeast : German Lager Yeast WLP830.

Cheers

yer probably 3 - 5 days. You can bottle a bit early and just crack the lids every day for a few days to make sure they are not gassing up too much. Lagers as you know can keep going at cold temps so perhaps crack them periodically if you are worried it may still be fermenting a couple of weeks later :)

Woke up today after stepping up the mixture yesterday to find little or no kraeusen.

Should I have a kraeusen by now? I did have one the first day before I stepped up the mixture but since adding the second amoutn of dme/water I have nothing.

I do however have a yeast slurry at the bottom of the bottle.

Just wanting to make sure nothing is going wrong at the moment.

Attached is a photo of the bottle at the moment.

Thanks

steped_up.jpg

Sluggerdog

Just give the bottle a shake very so often and get the yeast back in suspension. It will take off soon enough. The other option is that it has already fermented it out, especially if it is in a warm place.

Cheers
Pedro

So shaking is ok?

It is sitting in an area which is about at 28-30C so it might have fermented out.
I'll give it a little shake and see what happens in a few hours. If it doesn't change does this mean I can split it up into bottles and store in the fridge now?

Thankyou

before you pitch should you, give the starter a little shake to resuspend the yeast? Also do you need to wait for the krausen to subside before pitching?

After giving my mixture a shake this morning I have had no change since (same as pic above) so I am guessing it is finished and I can divide it up.

The yeast wouldn't have died would it? I hope not.

Sluggerdog

Yeast are fairly hardy little fellas. They go dormant fairly easily if it is cold and only die if they are frozen or boiled. Keep them around 20C for a starter and they are happy.

Cheers
Pedro

Thanks Pedro, it's always over-worry when trying new things.

I will divide the batch into about 6-10 bottles tomorrow and then try using liquid yeast for the first time early next week. I will see what happens then.

Thanks for the help!

Sluggerdog

When you put them in the fridge, just make sure that they aren't sitting against a fridge wall otherwise they may freeze and die. I sit mine in the vege drawer of the beer fridge.

Cheers
Pedro

Ok thanks good idea. How would my fermenting fridge do? it sits on about 10-12C or if that is too hot I will stick them in the keg fridge, maybe in the door as they have the least chance of freezing there.

I prefer to keep them a bit cooler, it makes sure they stay dormant, which is what you want for storage. 4C is the ideal temperature.

Latest posts

Back