Starting Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched my liquid yeast into a starter this morning and 12hrs later there is no action (I don't think I has missed it all.) I am going for a wyeast 1028 which I smacked Sat arvo and was swollen by sunday night. Didn't get a chance to pitch into starter until this morn (monday). The smackpac and starter have been sitting at around 24c pretty much the whole time. I made the starter with about 1/2 a cup of dme and 1.5 L of boiling water which I cooled before adding the yeast. When I look at the starter it would appear that the yeast has fallen out of suspension already. I have given it an extra shake about 9 hours after pitching.

I'ts my first liquid so lets hope I have not stuffed it up!

Can anyone spot a fault in my methods.

Cubbie

Is there any sign of a krausen ring around the top of the wort? I wouldn't worry about it yet, just keep shaking it as often as you can. When I do a starter like that, I shake it every time I walk past it.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro,

No sign of krausen, the yeast seems to settle out very quickly so I will keep shaking the bottle.

Just gave it a swirl then and the airlock bubbled a little.

Batz,

I've recently got hold of some liquid yeast, American Ale 1056, and have a question. Instead of making a starter like your example, can you just mix 1.5L of water with some DME and the yeast, shake like hell, and then seperate into little bottles, say of 250ml, and then stick in the fridge for a starter later on?
Or is the whole reason of making a starter like your example so that the yeasties can grow and doing it like I have mentioned leave you with too little yeast and result in underpitching?

Thunder,

You can split your starter like that if you want - when you bring your smaller starters out later on to use, just build upto 750 ml for pitching with some more dme solution...

You can split your starter like that if you want - when you bring your smaller starters out later on to use, just build upto 750 ml for pitching with some more dme solution...

Thanks Ross.
And in that bottle with the extra 750ml I should let it go for a couple of days so that it gets going, then pitch?
Sounds easy enough even for me :)

If you store the yeast in a sweet wort (eg dont let it ferment out before storage) make sure you open up the bottles often as they will slowly ferment and build up gas... I have been close to a mess back "in the day"

Thunderlips said:
Thanks Ross.
And in that bottle with the extra 750ml I should let it go for a couple of days so that it gets going, then pitch?
Sounds easy enough even for me :)
[post="51619"][/post]​

I just bring out of fridge for 24 hours & as it starts to fire add to some more wort. Usually ready for pitching the following day - Plastic bottles are great for storage as a simple squeeze will let you know how things are progressing...

Quick question.

I am about to have my first go at Wyeast (3944) and I want to use a starter. I have no plans to keep any yeast for further brewing as I want to move onto other strains. My question is what is the best ingredient volumes to use for a starter that I am only going to use once. I read that Batz recommends 1.5lt water and 1/3 cup of DME - is this too much for a one off starter?

Cheers

Curry

What strength of wort to use as a starter.
There are two schools, one says around og 1.030-1.040 is the best for making yeast. Another school is that the starter wort should be similar in strength to the beer that it is being trained into, so whatever og your expected brewed wort is going to be. My brewing is an amalgamtaion of both these schools of thought.

I use starter og 1.040 wort which is easy to make up, it is 100gms DME in 1 litre of water.

Another question if I could

Say if I make up a wort for starting purposes and it doesn't come to OG that I want, can I add water to dilute or add raw DME to increase or do I need to restart the whole procedure?

Curry

POL says about the SG of the starter I aim for around 1.040. Wyeast in their Microbrewery info say make your starter of a lower colour and SG than your main beer. They also say the starter should not be over 10.5P which is about 1.042.

Curry, you can add water and DME as you like to get it right, as long as it is sterile.

Cheers
Pedro

Slightly off topic but anyway....

I smacked a 1056 last night at around 8pm then put it in the cupboard above my monitor (read warm place)

Just pulled it out now (22 hours later) & the thing looks & feels like its about to literally burst.

Has anyone ever had 1 split open before & how long do I have to make a starter before a imminent disatser?

KillerRx4 said:
Slightly off topic but anyway....

I smacked a 1056 last night at around 8pm then put it in the cupboard above my monitor (read warm place)

Just pulled it out now (22 hours later) & the thing looks & feels like its about to literally burst.

Has anyone ever had 1 split open before & how long do I have to make a starter before a imminent disatser?
[post="61493"][/post]​

Never known one split, but time to cut open & add to your starter - assuming you're masking one....

Or stick it in the fridge until you are ready to make that starter

Jovial Monk

Quick qestion guys. I've mixed up my dme with water and am boiling it atm, but I've niticed that there seems to be some "sediment" in the wort mix after boiling for a while. I have strained this and boiled the starter a bit more, only to see more of this "sediment" stuff appear. What is it? and will it affect my yeast, and/or starter?

Cheers :)

Stoodoo - ive often wondered what this is.....it doesnt harm it....all mine have been fine.

I've read somewhere, may even have been in Palmer or on the packet, that you should pour in the starter wort including the sediment.

This is "hot break" material. Upon swift chilling, you see more break appear, which is "cold break."

For starters, I add it all into the mini fermenter, as some break material is used as nutrients for yeast propogation, primarily cold break.

Once I notice that the pack starts to swell up just a bit, I transfer it to a my yeast starter vessel with a DME and hop mix similar to the wort i will be pitiching it into, I do this because the yeast dont not like being under any top pressure, when they are in this growth stage. it just means happier yeast and better beer.

Back