Starting Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me neither, Murray

But more cells for the same price is good news!

JM

Of course, JM, I won't be complaining if the cell count increases :)

Well following these instructions I split my WLP001 into 10 Grolsch bottles and they have been sitting in the fridge for about 1month. It takes up a fair bit of room so I am looking to reduce the storage space required.
As nearly all the yeast should have settled to the bottom of the stubbies I was thinking of pouring off most of the liquid above the yeast, stirring up the yeast in the bottom and transfering to a smaller vessel (under distilled water?)
Is this a good idea or bad?
Does anyone know of any small airtight containers that would do the job? (probably 100ml)
Thanks
Hoops

Somebody suggested baby food jars a while back, or you could use those small PET juice containers with the screw caps - I think they hold about 150 mL.

KenEasy said:
Somebody suggested baby food jars a while back, or you could use those small PET juice containers with the screw caps - I think they hold about 150 mL.
Baby food jars do not reseal well, I have tried them before and the yeast became infected.

C&B
TDA

KenEasy said:
you could use those small PET juice containers with the screw caps - I think they hold about 150 mL.
Thanks Ken
I know the ones you're talking about. They would be good for disposable ones but I would like to get something preferably in glass so they will last for a few years.

I haven't used them myself, but those little 285ml glass coke bottles might be good.

I find the WhiteLabs pitchable tube containers work well. They cost a bit to aquire though :)

I think they are actually PET preforms - the bottle before it has been blown into shape. If you know anyone who works at a factory that packages things into PET bottles.....

Edit: yep, look just like em -? http://www.resilux.com/index2.html

I found JasonY's post here
The schott bottles look perfect. I will give them a call to find out the damage$$.

Can you lay yeast starter stubbies on their side? To minimise space.

Jase

They look good from resilux. Might call them too and find out how much.

Hoops - i only pasted link to resilux as it was the only piccie i could find.
I used to buy specialty bottles from a place in Silverwater in Sydney, there must be someone in brisbane that sells them.

Well at least it gives me a starting point

I have some questions regarding the timing of a) decanting starter for storage, and B) pitching yeast from starter.

I have heard on various forums two general confliciting opinions for b atleast:

1. High krausen
2. Ferment out.

Any solid experience or authoritative comments on this? Certainly the high krausen saves a bit of time.

Go to oz.craftbrewer.org and download the radio show called "wyeast" or something similar. It has the guy from wyeast, and they ask him this. His answer is that you should let it ferment out, as at that point the yeast has stored up all the nutrients it needs to survive.

Jase said:
Can you lay yeast starter stubbies on their side? To minimise space.

Jase
As long as the container is air tight and everything is steralised/sanitised properly I can't see why not.

I've only started using liquid yeasts.
WLP001 and WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast. Since I have two brews in fermenters I'll have ago at a starter as per Batz posts. With the Burton yeast, which seems to blow the airlock regularly during the primary fermentation, I havested some of the skimmings into stubbies and have brewed four brews after building the skimmings up to 1 litre starters. So far the results seem fine, but it does seem risky.
I was wondering if anyone else has tried using the skimmings? The last brew I put down I used some of the skimmings from the fermenter that had a two day head start, and this seemed to kick the other brew into action.
Only tried the using the skimmings because I read somewhere (I'll try to locate the source) that it was a traditional method that use to be used in Britain.

Sorry to bring this topic up again..... but, I am making up starters for future use. A 2007 Pilsen Lager (compliments of Linz, who received it from Doc, I think). Anyhow, do you make the starter up to the cooler lager temps, eg 10 degrees, or as you would an ale starter?

Cheers,
Jase

You are growing yeast, that goes quicker at ale temps

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
You are growing yeast, that goes quicker at ale temps

Jovial Monk
Yep but you want to bring it down slowly to lager temp (10 C) before pitching. If you pitch 20 C starter into 10 C wort it will be shocked and probably not start.
Darren

Back