Starter or extra Dry Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hootsmon

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got my eye on an Imperial Ale for my next kit.

The OG will be approx 1057 for 23lt.

I was wondering about the best strain of yeast to try and also whether to try a starter for the first time or pitch 1.5 to 2 packets of dry instead?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

if you don't have the stir plate, just pitch dry (re hydrated of course) 1.057 is smack on borderline but if I was to pitch dry, always err on the side of more is better than less...

US05
BRY97
Nottingham

This has just made me realise I only pitched 1 pack of rehydrated notto into a 1.070 extra stout last night...
Force of habit only using 1 pack with the majority of my beers being fairly tame
Oops...

It comes with 05 yeast. Ill pick up an extra packet and chuck in two. To rehydrate or not. That is the question.........

Will save for a stirrer and do a starter next brew.

sp0rk said:
This has just made me realise I only pitched 1 pack of rehydrated notto into a 1.070 extra stout last night...
Force of habit only using 1 pack with the majority of my beers being fairly tame
Oops...
Where did you get the 1070 stout kit from?

Hootsmon said:
Where did you get the 1070 stout kit from?
Not a kit, all grain
but if you throw 2 kit cans and a kilo of DME in a fermenter, you should get close to that gravity

Good thread. I'm brewing a RIS coming up using Windsor dry yeast that I expect will have a SG of over 1070. I mainly use liquid yeast and make starters but have never done so with dry. Is there anything I should be aware of before I do?

Just pitch 2 packs rehydrated. I recently fermented a 1.070 stout with 30g of rehydrated s-04. Hit it with a litre of oxygen and it ripped straight through it down to 1.014 in 4 days.

I only have the one pack on hand though and was hoping not to have to make an extra trip to the LHBS

I make starters with dry yeast occasionally when I buy a new pack if I feel like re-using it over and over. I just simply re-hydrate it and pitch it into whatever size starter it is, and carry on as usual. Seems to work fine in my experience. Still going on a pack of US-05 I bought last September.

Rocker1986 said:
I make starters with dry yeast occasionally when I buy a new pack if I feel like re-using it over and over. I just simply re-hydrate it and pitch it into whatever size starter it is, and carry on as usual. Seems to work fine in my experience. Still going on a pack of US-05 I bought last September.
I think this method will make me rethink my mantra of "NO STARTERS FOR DRY YEAST"
might change it to "REHYDRATE BEFORE THE STARTER"

Latest posts

Back