Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
I have decided to give starsan a go as it seems easier than my old brew of bleach and vinegar. Mixed up my first batch today. Is it supposed to foam up, or have I left some washing up detergent residue in my container?
If it is supposed to foam up, do you just pour the wort in on the remnants of foam? I don't see the point of rinsing out a no rinse sanitiser.
Bob

it is supposed to froth - the froth sanitises as well as the liquid does and helps you get a thorough kill on vertical and underside surfaces by sticking to them a bit.

Drain out what will drain easily and simply fill on the remaining foam - non toxic and wont affect the beer flavour at all. You are correct, dont rinse.

Don't fear the foam! Its your friend.

TB

Yeah, the foam is a bit concerning the first time you use it, but the old adage (when it comes to Starsan) is, "Don't fear the foam!"

Yep, you're right on it too, if it is a no- rinse sanitiser, then don't rinse it!

Edit: Beaten...

Best move i ever made was to go to starsan.
Great being able to sanitise in a few minutes compared to previous overnight routine.

Good question this one. I wondered the same thing when I used it first and was not sure what to do about the foam. After some thought I figured that it was ok as it is a no rinse thing. Now I know for sure. :)

Was thinking of buying some starsan with next Craftbrewer order. How many litres do you make up to sanitise a fermenter? Do you only make 1-2 Litres and shake to contact all surfaces or a lager volume?

Drew

Was thinking of buying some starsan with next Craftbrewer order. How many litres do you make up to sanitise a fermenter? Do you only make 1-2 Litres and shake to contact all surfaces or a lager volume?

Drew
I make up 2 litres and use that to sanitise 2 fermenters.
When I'm finished with one I'll pour it into the other fermenter.

Just put the fermenter lid on and roll it and shake it around making sure all surfaces get a good soaking.

Sometimes when I'm finished I'll put it in the fridge and use it again next time.

As for the foam, apparently the yeast eats it :)

Just as a side note;

If you are going to store your empty cubes or fermenters, leave at least a litre or three of a starsan mixture sitting in it sealed up. I just opened up two cubes that id left with the lid closed, and found dirty great big clumps of black mould growing through the inside of them! :blink:

One of them came up clean after a vigorous shake with boiling water inside but the other one now has stains on the inside that are impossible to get to with a bottle brush. So ive made up a strong mix of napisan + water and ill let that soak for a week, but im afraid that might be it for that cube. :(

Drew

1 litre is normally enough and from memory that's 1.5ml of Starsan. Do the maths, starsan will last a long time. I use that litre and then drain it into a spray bottle and use it for other things as well. So good.

Starsan rules so much, I love kegging by using a tube direction from the fermenter to the beer out post and filling the keg using the keg's dip tube with the pressure relief open. The beer pushes the Starsan foam up and when you see it coming out of the pressure relief you know the keg's almost full and that the Starsan is doing an extra job sanitising the head space again.

The three best brewing purchases I've ever made:

1 - Starsan
2 - Silicone tube to John Guest adapter for fermenter -> keg use
3 - Big W 19L SS pot as it can be used for so many thing including a brew day bucket

If you are going to store your empty cubes or fermenters, leave at least a litre or three of a starsan mixture sitting in it sealed up.
I was always under the impression that leaving starsan in a fermenter for a few weeks or so was not so good for the plastic.
Of course I'm likely wrong :)

That other stuff, Sodium Percarbonate, is supposed to be good for that with just a little bit sprinkled on the bottom.

I was always under the impression that leaving starsan in a fermenter for a few weeks or so was not so good for the plastic.
Of course I'm likely wrong :)

That other stuff, Sodium Percarbonate, is supposed to be good for that with just a little bit sprinkled on the bottom.

I've always stored my cubes full to the brim with Bleach/Vinegar/Water and now I use Starsan I empty them on Brewday then rinse with boiling water, then Starsan before use. Works for me ;)

I've always stored my cubes full to the brim with Bleach/Vinegar/Water and now I use Starsan I empty them on Brewday then rinse with boiling water, then Starsan before use. Works for me ;)
Ok, thought I might be wrong.

They don't feel all slimy after you empty the starsan?

2 - Silicone tube to John Guest adapter for fermenter -> keg use

Bloody great idea...putting in an order right away so that I can fill kegs through the beer out! Now why hadn't I ever thought of that before?

Bloody great idea...putting in an order right away so that I can fill kegs through the beer out! Now why hadn't I ever thought of that before?

I luuuurrrrve it! :wub:

Even better is when its got a filter connected in line! :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back