Starsan foam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
I'm filling a keg but with only 15l so there'll be a bit of head space left. Any issues with there being a bit of starsan foam in the headspace. As I understand there is no effect. Just double checking.

Cheers

It's all good. Non toxic and tasteless to 99.9% of us.

don't fear the foam :super:

so long as the foam only comes from swirling starsan around in the keg and then tipping out the liquid you are all good.... if you left the liquid in then you may have some taste issues :ph34r:

All of the above ajmuzza as long as it is mixed at the correct rate.....not too strong :)

They also use a similare ortho-phose product in dairy farms to sanitise the milking equipment

Guys I have hidden posts # 7 8 9 and 10 to keep the thread on topic.

I don't want to start a new thread unnecessarily so here goes...

I did a double batch today and forgot to empty about 1 litre of Starsan (mixed at 1.8ml/l) from one of my fermenters. I know the foam is not an issue, but should I worry. I did a test test on the wort and could not tell the difference between the two which is hardly surprising given I am trying to detect 1.8ml of Starsan in 22 litres.

Thanks
KOS

The King of Spain said:
I don't want to start a new thread unnecessarily so here goes...

I did a double batch today and forgot to empty about 1 litre of Starsan (mixed at 1.8ml/l) from one of my fermenters. I know the foam is not an issue, but should I worry. I did a test test on the wort and could not tell the difference between the two which is hardly surprising given I am trying to detect 1.8ml of Starsan in 22 litres.

Thanks
KOS
I had a rebrew Kolsch for nationals last year and the only way it was getting ready in time was via a filter and CPBF. My first go filtering on a mate's filter and it was a disaster. Among a few things that that happened was a litre or so of starssan getting sucked in. It did average at nats, but was also on at the club night. Feedback was ok, but many noticed a tartness or acidity to it. I chalk it down to the starsan. Could be way off, but my view is that it's not completely without effect, but its not necessarily overt or negative.

Yob said:
Why 1.8ml?

Correct ratio is 1.5ml per liter
My calculations when I first got the bottle and had to convert cray imperial measurements was 1.6/l. Mayhaps I was off?

Back