Star San

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
Just a query. I understand Star San is an acid based sanitizer which kills bacteria by vapourising them at around ph-3 if mixed to manufacturers recommendation

Is it ok to mix a stronger dose? I've been using ph test strips to roughly measure potency

Do you particularly want to use stronger, or just no way to measure the small amounts it needs?

I got some 3mL syringes that i use to measure it out, but for what it's worth, before i had them i'm sure I mixed it too strong and didn't have any dramas.

I would assume dose rate is based on "no rinse" and you would have potential issues using as a no rinse sanitiser at higher rates.

one of the "basic brewing radio" podcasts goes into exactly this, The guy who developed the stuff advises against it, he basically says, "don't be tempted to put more in, thinking more must be better", cos it isn't, its actually worse.

If you're using it as a 'no rinse' sanitiser, then stick to the instructions.

At some point though, you might have a stainless steel product that may require passivation. If that ever happens, a much stronger mix can help.

In my experience, ph strips are not very reliable. If you're at a point in your brewing where you need to measure ph, then it's worth investing in a quality ph metre.

Latest posts

Back