Star San

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
Using star san for the first time. It says it is a no rinse, but I have so much bubbles/foam left in the fermenter I'll need to rinse. The instructions say so not rinse, will it be an issue to rinse?

Foam is food for the yeast and byproduct you cant taste at proper dilution.
Plus rinsing in water might introduce nasties.

Bugger, Yob got in first with "do not fear the foam"

<_<

It doesn't taste great if you stuff up though !!!

I think I got the dilution wrong the first time I used starsan and the lager doesn't taste good..... (Not 100% sure I got it wrong and it was only foam so I thought I'd see how it turned out).

If it isn't better this weekend I'm just going to throw it away and start again.......

I'm pretty sure someone posted here a while back saying that they did a blind test and syringed undiluted starsan into beer and no one could pick it out.

Also, if you're worried, just put the lid or glad wrap on your fermenter and leave it standing for a while.

Most of the foam will 'oh so magically' turn into sanitising solution over time which you can just pour out before you fill your fermenter.

EDIT: Just like a bubble bath.

Florian said:
Also, if you're worried, just put the lid or glad wrap on your fermenter and leave it standing for a while.

Most of the foam will 'oh so magically' turn into sanitising solution over time which you can just pour out before you fill your fermenter.

EDIT: Just like a bubble bath.
Like Florian says above, but I find it better to let the fermenter sit upside down. It drains better.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Star san contains phosphoric acid. Same stuff they use in coke.
Phosphoric acid is also a rust converter when used in a solution and percentage that is specific to rectifying oxidisation of metals.

When used in the ratio that five star use it in, Star San it is a great sanitiser. The foam is good because it supports contact with the surface. The longer it stays in contact whilst filling the better.

Cheers

That's what the Five Star guy said in one of the Brew Strong episodes on sanitizing. That Starsan breaks down into things that your yeast will put to use as nutrient (and perhaps other uses).

bradsbrew said:
Phosphoric acid is also a rust converter when used in a solution and percentage that is specific to rectifying oxidisation of metals.
Used it for a converter prior to spraying epoxy over bare steel. Give a phosphorous coating that helps the epoxy stick and stop further rust.

Also works as a great etch primer on galvinised steel prior to painting.

Latest posts

Back