Star-san replacement....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HBHB said:
There's already an economically viable alternative one blended in Australia by Keg King.

I though it required more ml in the dilution ratio making less cost effective? Or was that just the old formula?

I reuse my starsan. I keep a cube of starsan made up and just pour back in what I don't use. Every time I use it I just draw off a little first and test with my ph meter. If it's under 2.5 and still foamy, you're good to go. Never have any problems with it, even if its a little cloudy. When it gets too dirty I turf it. I bought my first 500ml bottle about 2 1/2 years ago, and I still got around 1/4 bottle left. If you use rain water or even distilled water, this shit will last forever.

I don't get it. Starsan is a fine product, and lasts ages. What sort of budget reduction issue do you have to need to find a cheaper like product?

I use Brew San from brewers choice. Only reason is that was what I used when i started and have never changed.

From the web site - It is a mixture of Phosphoric Acid and a suphonic acid. Brew San is a low foam Acid Sanitiser. It is biodegradable and only requires 5mls per litre.

Natdene said:
I use Brew San from brewers choice. Only reason is that was what I used when i started and have never changed.

From the web site - It is a mixture of Phosphoric Acid and a suphonic acid. Brew San is a low foam Acid Sanitiser. It is biodegradable and only requires 5mls per litre.
That's the point of Starsan, it only needs 1.5ml per liter making it the most cost effective one I know of.

Let's be realistic here. The difference between a "cheap" one and an "expensive" one is going to be something in the order of 0.001 cents per glass, right?

How about we all stop focusing on the cost effectiveness of other peoples' sanitisers and just worry about the effectiveness of their sanitising properties?

Add to that people's sanitising procedures.

Latest posts

Back