star san mixing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewologist said:
A little off topic but is everyone using tap water to mix with their starsan?

I've read somewhere before that it doesn't last that long (ph might drop or something) using tap water and
distilled water will provide a longer shelf life once its mixed up.

True or False.

I usually mix up 10L for brew day then chuck it.
I use a small RO plant to make 20l of distilled water and re-use that until it goes cloudy. It might last me 6 months before I need to chuck it. Thirstyboy mentioned once thaty cloudy doesn't necessarily mean its no good. Starsan works on pH so would be worth checking the pH before chucking it.

And no, never had an infection since I started using Starsan this way.

WarmBeer said:
One of the guys from 5star, the makers of Starsan did an interview on Basic Brewing Radio about why the ratio is important. Starsan kills bugs due to pH, get it too low it's not as effective, get it too high it's not as effective.

Link to mp3 of podcast

Edit: Added link
I tried and couldn't find in the podcast where the 5star guy actually says getting the pH too low by, say, using more starsan than the recommended dilution rate makes it no longer effective at killing bugs. Maybe it wouldn't be any more effective by using too much but just a waste?

I'm interested in this since if starsan only works in a narrow pH band around pH 3, or works for pH 3 and lower - it would be more forgiving to err on the using a bit more than needed side, or we have to use exactly the recommended dilution rate.

Hi,

Travis, do you make distilled water from RO water or are you assuming distilled and RO water is the same thing? Distilled water does not contain any minerals, where with RO water some minerals stay, not much though. I think that is why 5Star recommends using distilled water if you want to make up a bulk solution.

The podcast Warmbeer recommended pretty much explains everything we as homebrewers need to know on how to use Starsan.

Cheers

Starsan is an anionic acid detergent, as he said in the podcast. A disadvantage of these sanatisers is a close defined pH range of activity (pH 2-3). So, I can only assume since it contains phosphoric acid, the more you add the lower the pH will get, making it less effective.

Tap water is fine.
It'll go cloudy, it's still fine.
It kills with low ph.
I use it in spray and in fv for months.
As long as ph is around 2.5 you are all good.

But I guess you use so little, you can afford to be liberal

Spare bunnings Fermenter, mix 30ml into 20lt at a time with tap water, always some on hand for whatever purpose

I have a 500ml spray bottle filled with cooled boiled water, that has .75ml Starsan mixed into it. I keep that in the fridge. I use that to spray work area, sink etc.

On brew day I mix 1.5ml with 1 litre tap water into a jug that I use to pour into bottles, kegs, fermenter, etc, swish around a bit then pour back into the jug and keep using the same mix to wash hands and other bits.

i got a m/t 20litre cube from work(distilled water)and make a batch in that.even filled my spray bottle from the same cube

MaltyHops said:
I tried and couldn't find in the podcast where the 5star guy actually says getting the pH too low by, say, using more starsan than the recommended dilution rate makes it no longer effective at killing bugs. Maybe it wouldn't be any more effective by using too much but just a waste?

I'm interested in this since if starsan only works in a narrow pH band around pH 3, or works for pH 3 and lower - it would be more forgiving to err on the using a bit more than needed side, or we have to use exactly the recommended dilution rate.
I was wondering this too. My chemistry isn't awesome but I don't see how a lower pH would make it less effective at doing it's job. I can see how lowering the pH wouldn't make it any more effective, but can't see how the efficacy would drop.

Hopefully one of the chemistry gurus can shed some light on it.

vonromanz said:
Hi,

Travis, do you make distilled water from RO water or are you assuming distilled and RO water is the same thing? Distilled water does not contain any minerals, where with RO water some minerals stay, not much though. I think that is why 5Star recommends using distilled water if you want to make up a bulk solution.

The podcast Warmbeer recommended pretty much explains everything we as homebrewers need to know on how to use Starsan.

Cheers
My RO plant has a de-mineralising filter on it so it is as near as possible to distilled. The amount of minerals left would be bugger all but yeah it isn't true distilled water.

128 oz to a gallon, so 5 gallons = 640 oz, therefore mixing ratio is 640:1 water to starsan.

So 1000ml / 640 = 1.56ml per litre

I think we have established 1.5 ml a litre.
You can measure 1.56ml.

I don't think it gets any less effective at higher rates.... But the important thing is it stops
Being no rinse!

Just a question, where do you get a syringe without looking like a fan of persian rugs

jammer said:
I think we have established 1.5 ml a litre.
You can measure 1.56ml.

I don't think it gets any less effective at higher rates.... But the important thing is it stops
Being no rinse!
Sorry, just thought I'd put some mathematically basis to it rather than "Well, I just use 1.5ml..."

As for the 1.56, if the worst thing that happens to you this week is someone quoted to two decimal places instead of one...it probably hasn't been a bad week :D

Here you go mate..50 of 'em for under 20 bucks. You could share with others or do a bulk buy :ph34r: :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-x-1ml-Terumo-INSULIN-Syringes-Slip-Tip-Syringe-only-No-Hypodermic-Needle-/121054188901?pt=AU_Medical_Special_Needs&hash=item1c2f645565

The 1ml ones will let you measure small quantities easier than say a 50 ml one but you can always make up a larger quantity if you only use a medicine measure cup etc.

I use the 1 ml syringes for acid adjustments to the mash so they are handy for mixing Starsan

Cheers

Latest posts

Back