star san mixing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wereprawn

Reaction score
hi all,
just received my star san.first time using it an I have a question regarding mixing the product.on the 4 oz bottle it says "1 oz to 5 gal of water".so to make up 1 ltr does .75 of a ml sound right ?or is my math as bad as my teachers said all those years ago ?it really didn't foam as much as I thought it would.being out by a factor of 10 would be something I would do.
any feedback on your mix rate would be great!

cheers!

I use 1.5 ml per litre. I have a syringe I got from the chemist to measure it.

I hope that is the right ratio

Cheers.

i use 1.5ml for 1 litre in a spray bottle. which after a while could be much stronger becuase the refill usually happens when about 200mls of starsan is still in the sprayer and i add another 1.5ml and water.

1.5 ml to a litre.
I usually mix up a batch in an empty fermenting vessel.
15ml in 10litres.

1.5 per litre or in my case 0.75 per 500 ml.
Saniclean is a different mixing ratio to starsan but is in a similar bottle and oprates on identical principle so don't confuse the two.

No science here - just a bit in a container and slush and spray away. Bottle is still half full 2 years on ..
cheers
BBB

manticle said:
1.5 per litre or in my case 0.75 per 100 ml.
Saniclean is a different mixing ratio to starsan but is in a similar bottle and oprates on identical principle so don't confuse the two.
i use saniclean at 2.5- 3ml/litre, which i thought was the recommended ratio, or have i not been doing it according to manufacturers recommendation ?

thanks,
I will add a bit more to my spray bottle.i bought a syringe today for the star san.(was thinking"how the the bloody hell do I measure such a small amount").so I will drop another .8 of a mil in all should be good.
thanks for the info all.

Yeah converts to 1.6ml per litre by my reckoning.

I wrote this on the bottle recently with a sharpie because I keep forgetting and have to look up again and again.

1.5 sounds near enough.

I get my 1.6 by adding 8 ml (with a 10ml syringe) to 5litres of water. Then use and reuse until I need more (several brew/bottling days)

One of the guys from 5star, the makers of Starsan did an interview on Basic Brewing Radio about why the ratio is important. Starsan kills bugs due to pH, get it too low it's not as effective, get it too high it's not as effective.

Link to mp3 of podcast

Edit: Added link

donburke said:
i use saniclean at 2.5- 3ml/litre, which i thought was the recommended ratio, or have i not been doing it according to manufacturers recommendation ?
Sounds about right to me. As I said - starsan at 1.5mL/1L, saniclean at a higher ratio.

I use the 5ml level on the bottle and mix with 3L water, reuse as much as possible, dump some into spray bottles and usually store a few litres in a spare fermenter.

A little off topic but is everyone using tap water to mix with their starsan?

I've read somewhere before that it doesn't last that long (ph might drop or something) using tap water and
distilled water will provide a longer shelf life once its mixed up.

True or False.

I usually mix up 10L for brew day then chuck it.

I use tap water and mix what I need on the day. I have also read to use distilled water to keep it good. The left overs a couple days later is pretty cloudy from tap water so I just throw it. I probably use 10l on brew day using it on keg/fv/bits and bobs

Wow 10 L? I thought I was pretty liberal but I'd be lucky to use 2. I use tap water and mix in 500mL bottle as needed but it is a contact sanitiser so spray mist or small dose shaken around should be sufficient. I use boiling water a lot before starsanning to exercise extra caution.

Yep 10L

I think I'm paranoid about ruining my beer due to infection.

Never had an infection.

Well i did once when I was a uni student. There wasn't much that was sanitary in that share house though :D

If you mix it too strong then it is no longer "no rinse".
The label rate is the correct mix. I mix 3 ml in 2 litres of RO water. 1.5 ml per litre.

Cheers

donburke said:
Also typo, now edited. 0.75 mL starsan per 500 mL water

Back