Stainless Steel Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
anyone know a supplier or manufacturer of fully staineless steel ball valve taps. I'm in brissy but any suggestions would be appreciated. It is easy to get brass taps with the stainless steel ball but otherwise i am having trouble tracking down the quality equipment.

bit of research on brass - as it corrodes it produces verdigris - a nasty poison - for carrying water this is no issue beacuse it dosen't corode the brass - it deposits calcium- acidic food (wort ) however does corrode brass. I do not feel comfortable using brass which is not food safe in the brewery i am building unless it doen't touch the wort. The lead which is present in minute quantities is not the problem.

anyways

lou

give me a buzzzzzzzzz sometime

lou
I have bought a few 316 SS ball valves from PROCHEM in Brisbane. They are priced pretty good.
TUBESALES also sell SS ball valves at a good price but I haven't bought any from them yet.
Hoops

i can get SS ball valves - 1/2 inch bsp female on each end - yellow butterfly handle...

Just need to get some 1/2 inch SS BSP threaded rod and done.

25.00 ea. let me know if you are interested...

Try Tony Powell hose supplies, they have a couple of shops here in Brissy. Also have SS nipples, sockets, and can likely get you anything else you need in the way of fittings.

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
Try Tony Powell hose supplies
I bought all the bits for my SS CPBF between Tony Powell and Prochem. I found all SS ball valves to be cheaper at Prochem and some of the fittings cheaper at Tony Powell. They are just around the corner from each other too.
Hoops

I buy all of my SS ball valves for my golf course at Pumps & Pipes, Beaudesert Road, Large range, different sizes.

Duff.

I do not feel comfortable using brass which is not food safe in the brewery i am building unless it doen't touch the wort. The lead which is present in minute quantities is not the problem.

That is fair enough. FYI I found out just today when I visited Pneutech in Melbourne that there is a grade of nickel plated brass that is FDA approved for food use. It is apparently a high phosphorus nickel plating.

For my CFBF I uses stainless all round (1/4") with food grade plastic pushin fittings. For everything else though I have used plated brass. My logic is that a CFBF can retain moisture which has caused visible blackening of unplated brass barb. Now that I have pushin fittings that isn't really a problem anymore because I can remove BEVA tube and air dry.

GMK said:
Just need to get some 1/2 inch SS BSP threaded rod and done.
Whenever I have tried to get hold of SS all-thread it has been exhorbitantly priced.

If you can get hold of bulkhead fittings then you are probably going to be in front, or even better, an SS tap with enough thread to go through whatever you are tapping.

ss all thread should not be expensive. I got a quote on 1/2 in BSP for $8 from a place in brisbane. they just make it up to specs in less than a day. The premade stuff must be way overpriced cause there is so little demand - go to a good tube maker place/engineering place that has the equipment - what were you paying for it sosman

lou

i can get those SS taps with male thread enough to go thru - 2 probs...
C
ost is 35.00 ea and u need a 5/8 BSP SS lock nut - i can only get chrome plated 5/8 BSP lock nuts...

Happy if anyone else can source some SS ones for me...

someone help GMK out, then he can help me out ;)

I've got ss ball valves and a large round ss thing (neither from GMK) to attach to, but being severely hand tool challenged am at a loss at what to do next. Sad, but true.

lou said:
ss all thread should not be expensive. I got a quote on 1/2 in BSP for $8 from a place in brisbane. they just make it up to specs in less than a day. The premade stuff must be way overpriced cause there is so little demand - go to a good tube maker place/engineering place that has the equipment - what were you paying for it sosman
Lou - the guy just shook his head when I asked so to be honest I just assumed it was expensive. He told me he gets it made.

GMK said:
Cost is 35.00 ea and u need a 5/8 BSP SS lock nut - i can only get chrome plated 5/8 BSP lock nuts...
What about just using female tap with SS nipple. I don't understand the 5/8" part - why can't you go 1/2" all the way.

cant go 1/2 inch all the way as the ball valve comes with male 5/8 inch bsp thread.

can do the ss nipple screw in - ok for steel kegs but nipples dont have enough thread for eskys...

GMK said:
but nipples dont have enough thread for eskys...
never realised the Innuit where so particular about their screws. You must have Discovery channel, ken.

Back