Stainless Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TidalPete said:
Is there any such a thing as a ss ball valve, male one end male & the other end female??? I have absolutely no idea so just asking. :unsure:
Now there's a design idea whose time has come!

Pete, just take a normal ball valve and a male threaded piece or whatever they called. Secure it with a nut right inside the vessel. Youcan cut the male piece a bit shorter so the valve is not sticking out too far.

There are hex nipples you can buy quite easily, just a straight threaded section but BSPT with a wrench hex in the middle.

I'm guessing those ball valves are going to get heavy for the thin walls of those fermenters. Might be worth sticking with plastic or sourcing light weight hardware or ones that don't stick out too much (moment arm...).

Florian said:
Pete, just take a normal ball valve and a male threaded piece or whatever they called. Secure it with a nut right inside the vessel. Youcan cut the male piece a bit shorter so the valve is not sticking out too far.
That's the plan "A" ATM Flo. Have a few off-cuts of ss threaded tube.

I'm guessing those ball valves are going to get heavy for the thin walls of those fermenters. Might be worth sticking with plastic
That's a good point PF & one to remember once I finally get to check out the fermenters.

Without having ploughed through the 8 pages, has this been mentioned yet:

Plastic is perceived by some home brewers as carrying over taints from one brew to the next.

So use once and discard.

How?

Ask Bacchus, or indeed most Brew on Premises establishments.

Might try it with a couple of batches and see how it goes. The syphoning could be a pain but I only keg so not too awkward.

Bribie G said:
Without having ploughed through the 8 pages, has this been mentioned yet:

Plastic is perceived by some home brewers as carrying over taints from one brew to the next.

So use once and discard.

How?

Ask Bacchus, or indeed most Brew on Premises establishments.

Might try it with a couple of batches and see how it goes. The syphoning could be a pain but I only keg so not too awkward.
I'm guessing you are referring to the plastic lining / inserts they use on the fermenters?

im a fairly new brewer, and thought id swap my plastic fermentor for a mangrove jacks stainless one which came delivered perfectly in record time :)
i had an airlock that bubbled away on my plastic fermentor, the new stainless one doesnt have a bung or airlock, just a hole in the lid
shud i just ditch the lid and go some gladwrap? or anyone got any excellent and probably obvious suggestion for me please :)

If you want to use the airlock, get a bung with a hole, otherwise do the glad wrap thing.

It should have shipped with a bung, if you got it from NHB.

I use glad wrap on mine so if you need a bung you can have mine for postage costs....

Cheers

ah yes...pls excuse my stupidity...it shipped with a bung :)
all sorted

wide eyed and legless said:
I think Screwtops deductions that if flavours do absorb into the plastic,it would strengthen the reasoning that toxins would be being leached into the beer, it wouldn't be a one way street.
Food grade should mean that the plasic does not leach plasticisers.

However, the absorption and release of beer by-products and ingredients is known. Ask any brewer.

More documentation/ info here.

So, when will those "Improved" Mangrove Jacks ss fermenters will arrive, or the starter kits containing them?

A this rate, so will be your great great grand kids Pete. I'm all over it like a rash. Don't hold your breath in the next month or so.

Mardoo, want the stainless version posted up too? Not comfy in winter.

:)

Martin

Latest posts

Back