Stainless 1" Bsp Rims Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one of the Brewershardware.com RIMS tubes too and I took a slightly different approach. I had a tri clover blank cap drilled and had the cartridge element from Ross welded to it:

photo2.jpg

Does the trick nicely

photo4.jpg

why did you weld it? surely it would be fine weldless like on a kettle?

how much did drilling and welding cost?

No - the element is designed to be fitted on the inside of a "kettle" so when it comes to a tri-clover fitting it needs to be fitted to the outside (I can provide photos if you would like further clarification). Drilling and welding were free. I could have and should have done them myself however I called upon a mate and was refused payment. Sweet...

Looks good.
I got mine from Tobins. 2.4kw, 350mm long, 1" BSP thread. I am mounting mine in a fabricated stainless pipe, 1.5" with Tee's & reducing bushes. Camlocks for inlet & outlet.

The solid section of these elements is 1.5" the same as the 1.5" RIMS tube which prevents the element being inserted and used with the weldless design. I'm actually in the process of having the same thing made up. If the element fails, simply weld up another blank, easy.

No - the element is designed to be fitted on the inside of a "kettle" so when it comes to a tri-clover fitting it needs to be fitted to the outside (I can provide photos if you would like further clarification). Drilling and welding were free. I could have and should have done them myself however I called upon a mate and was refused payment. Sweet...

Ah. That answers my question. Given I can't weld ss and don't know anyone who can, I'd try to knock up some kind of threaded fitting to avoid re-welding whenever the element needs replacing - but if you've the skills, it makes sense to just do it your way.

Back