Ss Vs Aluminium Brew Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faithy

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading some of my equipment and I'm after a larger brew kettle. I've heard some people say that Aluminium is no good for a kettle and that only Stainless Steel should be used. Other's say either will work fine. What are the actual reasons (facts not BS) for and against Aluminium.

I'm not too concerned about paying more for a better kettle, it's just that the money saved from an Aluminium kettle could go towards a conical if there's no real difference.

Thanks,
Josh

I am looking at upgrading some of my equipment and I'm after a larger brew kettle. I've heard some people say that Aluminium is no good for a kettle and that only Stainless Steel should be used. Other's say either will work fine. What are the actual reasons (facts not BS) for and against Aluminium.

I'm not too concerned about paying more for a better kettle, it's just that the money saved from an Aluminium kettle could go towards a conical if there's no real difference.

Thanks,
Josh

I chose Aluminium over stainless for the simple fact is that it was a lot cheaper. I regret it now and wish I had gone for SS for the simple fact is that they are easier to clean, they soak well if using a caustic cleaner and aren't affected by chemicals such as star san. The longitivity of SS is far greater than aluminium too IMO.

I would say go for SS, as for facts.....dunno!!!

Aluminium is fine for a kettle but if you can afford SS, I would. More durable - just don't put chlorine anywhere near it or scrub it with a mild steel brush.

You can always save again for the conical.

If you were on a budget I would say go aluminium.

ive got an aluminium kettle and havnt had any problem with it.
why would you use starsan or any other cleaner like that on it anyway?
i just give it a good clean with a cloth after each brew.

cheers,

stewart

I dunno. Someone on here (or maybe it was homebrewtalk) said they sanitise their son if he walks in during brew related acticities. Not quite sure how but I assume a quick spray with no rinse (or maybe he got dunked in Chlorine solution?).

I do find it helpful to soak my kettle in sodium percarb.

only now and again i dump some sodium percarbonate into the ali pot and give it a little scrubbing to remove wort scale.

Other than that a quick rinse and a light once over with a scotch brite is all mine ususally gets. Also, the aluminium oxide is a protective layer on the outer of your kettle so dont go scrubbing it diamond bright after every use, eventually you wont have a kettle left!

Should have mentioned my kettle is stainless. I have an ali pot I've just fitted with a tap for an HLT. Needs a thermometer and immersion element before I start using it regularly but on the ocassions when I chill using my primitive ice bricks in a bath method, the pot gets a run as a kettle too (stainless 50 L keggle with 25 L of boiling wort in it is not fun to drag inside to the bathroom.)

Aside from what's already been said, aluminium easy way easier to drill holes in from weldless fittings. I'd worry more about size than material. Size is everything (get it right the first time)

why would you use starsan or any other cleaner like that on it anyway?

cheers,

stewart

Because personally I like to start with a clean, sanitized kettle, tun and hlt before I start. Why not? Why not eliminate ANY chance of infection etc from the beginning to the end. Do commercial breweries sanitize thier kettles? I think so.
My sanitizer is star san and the instructions read "For use on hard non-porous surfaces".
I know the 100 deg temps will kill of a lot but I just like to be safe.

What about tinfoil?

Damn, I knew there had to be something.

Except tinfoil, which I hate.

Further Edit - Interesting reading on the pack,
'Do not cover stainless steel with aluminium foil. When covering food that is high in salt or acid, lightly coat the foil with cooking oil prior to use to avoid holes and discolouration in the foil.'

If you hate tinfoil the government is probably just irradiating your brain to make you hate tinfoil to stop you wearing your special hat which stops you getting indoctrinated. You have been indoctrinated.

Can you remember where you left your house keys and does your middle name start with J?

Stuffed mate.

Beer is the only hope you have left and even then it's all going to gradually start to taste like mello yello and cabbage soup. You won't even realise it's happening.

If you get an email from a really rich guy in Nigeria soon you might find a way out but otherwise I think you've run out of options. PS - if the guy from Nigeria has the first name of Max - IT'S A SCAM. DO NOT TRUST.

Any other names should be ok.

Keep the hat on as a safety precaution the entire time though.

Underlining 'facts' was a poor idea, formatually.

They speak for themselves.

Back