Ss, Brass, Polypropylene, Or Nylon For Camlocks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've posted...

I'm going to build a HERMS sometime within the next year (SWMBO willing!). Since I have plenty of time, I'm planning everything well in advance so that there will be a minimum of stuff-ups. My question for the guru's is;

What are the comparative pro's and con's of Stainless Steel, Brass, Polypropylene and Nylon camlocks? And what are the effects of hot wort going to be?

Stainless

Pro: Durability and well, it's stainless.
Con: Cost. Very expensive compared to the others. Difficult to handle during the brew as they get hot.
Effect: None.

Brass

Pro: 1/3 the cost of SS. Metal.
Con: Not as durable as SS. Gets hot during the brew.
Effect: Minimal. Many people use brass fittings with no ill effects.

Polypropylene and Nylon

Pro: 1/6 the cost of SS. Easier to handle during the brew. Most fermenters are made from this stuff.
Con: Not metal. Not as durable as metal, but at this price point you can buy half a dozen sets and still break even. Durable enough if you're careful.
Effect: Unknown.

I will note here that I'll never use caustic in my brewery, since it'll have a copper heat exchanger and very probably it will contain some brass for many years to come. I am really interested to hear peoples opinions on the poly or nylon fittings, especially with regards to hot wort. I can't really think of any. I no-chill in a poly cube and I use a nylon hop sock in the boil with no ill effects on the beer.

Another question springs to mind regarding camlocks. Do you put the male or female connector on your hoses?

Cheers,

Joel.

Personaly I use brass. Why? Cost!
Cleans up well and is durable and easy to find. I soaked a peice in white vinegar the other day to clean it up and it came up lookinh like new. Just use an acid wash to clean your system after each brew or when ever you desire.

Hey Joel,
I would use stainless for everything if possible purely for the bling & food grade acceptability. I am using brass connections for my sight glass elbow & a brass nut in the mash tun & chrome plated brass nuts on my hop screen, stainless everywhere else. If you can afford stainless go for it, it's hellishly expensive though. Heaps of guys on here use brass fittings with no ill effects. I'm using both.

Crusty

Another question springs to mind regarding camlocks. Do you put the male or female connector on your hoses?

Female goes on the hose. the hose is the part most likely to get dropped, kicked around etc. if Male connectors are used in this situation the face/head can get damaged and thus not seal as well. The female connector's sealing face is protected.

I got my cam-locks in SS from geordi, been happy with them.

agree on the hose advice- best to have female on hose ends, not just to avoid damage, but it makes the attachment process a whole lot easier, as there is more room for the arms to swing.. i also went with stainless fittings from geordi- hopefully it will turn out to be a once only expense. i manage to do the brew day with all hose changes without gloves, so don't think the heat is necessarily such a big factor.

remi

Female goes on the hose. the hose is the part most likely to get dropped, kicked around etc. if Male connectors are used in this situation the face/head can get damaged and thus not seal as well. The female connector's sealing face is protected.

I got my cam-locks in SS from geordi, been happy with them.
+1 for what Quintrex says regarding both the positioning of the male/female camlocks, and for Geordie as a supplier.

Plan ahead, buy all your camlock components at once, as depending on engineering tolerances, different "batches" of camlock components might not fit quite as slickly together.

Back