Ss Benches? Where Can I Get One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to get my hands on a decent sized Stainless bench (like used in Commercial Kitchens etc) so that I can easily clean and sanitise it for when I'm brewing, then I can put things like spoons etc down on it without the the likely hood of them getting dirty etc.

Does anyone know of a good, cheap source around the Necastle area? I'm willing to pay freight from other areas given the price is right.

I was also hoping that I could maybe get my hands on a multi-level bench that I can modify in the future for an AG setup.

Also if anyone has any pics of ways they have used similar benches I would love to have a look.

Cheers, Pok :beer:

Keep an eye on your local scrap yard. Have seen some great looking bits in their ss skip including benches.

Otherwise look up second hand kitchen suppliers in the yellow pages.

As a short term solution, use a bucket of sanitiser, drop everything in there on brewday. Or a ss tray.

PokolbinGuy,
Working in the wine industry you should have a leg in with the local industry mate. Surely the wineries around there would use them, update their gear etc

Failing all other efforts, there's a bloke up my way that work in ss full time, he'll make you one at a price, but I gotta warn ya he's not shy at billing time. :)

The wineries don't tend to use them, most wineries have a lab which is all decked out with white benches etc.

I'll have to keep my eyes open, its generally pretty amazing what you can find when you start looking :p

Scrap yards might be the idea. I dont really want to pay to have one made, that would make it too $$ I would assume.

The other option is to get a false SS top made for a table, I have seen this used in kitchens. Basically a trestle table with a false top that sits over the table underneath. Could be a a cheap option if I can find someone to make the top.

Anyway, if anyone else has any leads let us know, I'm sure there is others out there thinking about this as normal.

Pok

Unless you go second hand you will be paying a fair whack.

For relatively cheap (ish) new stuff, have a look here:

www.simplystainless.com

i see there was a s/s mortary bench in industrial section on ebay under sientific and medical up for grabs puts a whole new meaning to the word slab and it has even a lip and drain on it great for spills.
hopfully its new or you might be putting extra body in your beer and wouldnt know it LOL but what a talking point for the shed brewery .

tc

However the one in the link is 430 Grade SS, while the other kitchen benches are 304 Grade and are more $$.

Whats the basic difference? Should we be steering clear of 430??

Cheers, Pok
Type 304the most common grade; the classic 18/8 stainless steel. Also referred to as "A2" in accordance with International Organization for Standardization ISO 3506.[7]
Type 430decorative, e.g., for automotive trim; ferritic. Good formability, but with reduced temperature and corrosion resistance.

See

As in keeping nasties that could corrode it away from it?

Then for this type of application where it will generally just be cleaned with a sanitiser etc it could be a suitable option?

Cheers, Pok

Mate it'd be fine for brewing. There's nothing you could throw at it that would hurt it.

Just don't leave the hi-octane acid laying on it for too long :lol:

I'll call my mate and get the definitive off him and edit this post :)

Added:
From the expert:
430 - generally for frame or construction work.

For commercial food grade type 316 in the minmum, 304 is fine.

He said, for what you want to do, 430 is fine because you are not involved in commercial food preparation.

Bingo.

The only thing that I would like to see is the weight capacity.

Although it looks great, how much weight can it handle? This would give an indication as to its robustisity.....

If I had the $$ and the space I'd certainly grab one as well. Perhaps a phone call might be wise.

Edit: "atrotious" spelling :(

Just talked to the man again, and the advertiser and neither of them thought that there would be a problem re weight as far as brewing is concerned, unless you started stacking :)

150kgs no probs, probably take well over 200kgs no probs.

And again I'm reminded of why I use this site.... two heads are always better than one.... or how about a couple of thousand heads in the case of this forum :D

Price on these seem good.... Any ideas? Concerns?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL...8QQcmdZViewItem

However the one in the link is 430 Grade SS, while the other kitchen benches are 304 Grade and are more $$.

Whats the basic difference? Should we be steering clear of 430??

Cheers, Pok

What you really want is 316 stainless which is food grade , 304 is industrial for framework guarding etc as previously stated 430 is cheap nasty decortaive stainless ... however 316 is more expensive than the others too

I'd suggest going to the local metal recyclers and chatting with the boss as to what you want and what he drinks.

May find you pick it up for the price they paid and a slab or two of mega swill for him and the boys.

FROGMAN

Great idea Frogman, and by the way the drip tray I got off you a while back has been fantasic. Cheers again.

I'll go and have a look and chat to the local scrapers and see what I can come up with and also maybe pubs that are being refited, they may be a good shot.

Anyway keep the discussion going someone may have the golden answer.

Ohh and if you have a look at the link I posted earlier of the bench on ebay and then look at the sellers other items there is shelves you can buy to attach above the bench.... maybe a neat and tidy way to build a gravity fed AG rig.

Cheers, Pok

would an old sink do the job , the type with quite big side sections ???

Latest posts

Back