Square fermentor idea/experiment.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I brew a lot of uk ales. A lot of reading suggests that the shape of the fermentor has an effect on the flavour of the beer, as well as an open fermentation. I'm thinking of trying a cheap storage tub and doing an experiment. My only concern is the material, it's co polymer polypropylene. I plan on transferring to a secondary when the beer is nearly done ( normal fermentor ). I'm also hoping to get a shit load of good healthy yeast off the top, hopefully!.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

On a small scale like we brew 20-50lt do you really think that vessel will make any difference?

I'm not having a go here as I really don't know, interested in your findings though.

Batz

I've been thinking about this a bit too lately. I had a stainless laundry sink in mind. Might be able to plumb in a couple valves for yeast dump and beer offtake.

Batz said:
On a small scale like we brew 20-50lt do you really think that vessel will make any difference?

I'm not having a go here as I really don't know, interested in your finding though.

Batz
I don't know really. Though the idea is that the extra surface are exposes the beer to more oxygen, which is less stressful to the yeast, and they in turn go nuts ( ever notice the pics of open fermentation, there's pavlova on top :) ). It seems that the beer needs to be racked when it's close to finishing, so that the finished beer is not exposed to too much oxygen. I'll just siphon into a normal fermentor.

It's kind of why I'm trying a $10 tub from bunnings. If it works, and has a big, positive effect I'll look at eventually making a ss version with valves etc. I need to buy an auto siphon anyway ( glass carboys ) so at the moment I won't need to put taps in it.

Batz said:

I'm not having a go here as I really don't know, interested in your finding though.

Batz
In the "yeast" book by Chris white and Jamil whatsisname they mention 2 beers fermented in different shaped fermentors would definately taste different. I've got a few other books, mainly the uk beer style books which mention different ester profiles etc.

I'll tell you when I do it.

Number one for me I guess is making my ferm fridge as germ free as possible. I will be pitching healthy, stir plated yeast but it's one thing to ferment with a loose lid ( been doing it for years lid basically just sits on top ), but to just leave it uncovered completely, I dunno. I don't think it will be attacked by bugs but who knows?.

I'll brew up a mild this week and head to bunnings.

most open fermentors are shallow, I have read.
Open fermentors are famously and traditionally used for Weissbier, the other German ale - Altbier, California common, Yorkie Bitter (of course) and not so well known for Bitburger pils.

Here's a link that may help if anyone is keen to create an open fermentor (BYO magazine link)

From the reading I've done my impression is that it is more the shallowness of the vessel and the open ferment that makes the different taste.

The monks in blam talked about having to change their brewing when they went to stainless tall fermenters, and only using partial capacity to keep the height down. Think it is westy that commented on it.

An old stainless steel sink would be awesome if you could do it up.

Another idea, cut the top of a cube. Could still use the tap and you could pick how shallow you wanted the ferment. Good for a small size but guessing you could get about 12L beer from it.

A forum member(Screwtop) used to open ferment in a round fermenter. He may still do this although I think he may have gone stainless. He may information regarding the sanitation angle.

As a side OT...

I do remember reading something about conicals are not as good flat bottom ferms due to the surface area the yeast has in contact with the wort. And that wider ferms are better than tall thin ones.

Midnight Brew said:
Another idea, cut the top of a cube. Could still use the tap and you could pick how shallow you wanted the ferment. Good for a small size but guessing you could get about 12L beer from it.
I like the idea, but if it's the depth & the surface area, why not just do 11 litres (1/2 batch) & leave the lid off?

To get a protective layer of krausen, I'd use a top fermenting yeast such as Wyeast West Yorkshire, or Ringwood.

stone squares.jpg

I'd been thinking along your lines for a while, personally I'd go for a less suss looking plastic, probably those clear plastic storage units with the little built in wheels.

If you were going to do open fermenting in a big way, why not make a simple "tent" out of clear polythene to act as a little clean room and have the whole thing mounted on a table.

ed: with the trundle style container you could put the lid on after primary, like they do when they seal off the bottom chamber of a Yorkshire Stone Square.

Was at Woolies earlier and they had tubs like Bribie is describing. Marked as BPA free.

Bribie G said:
To get a protective layer of krausen, I'd use a top fermenting yeast such as Wyeast West Yorkshire, or Ringwood.

attachicon.gif
stone squares.jpg

I'd been thinking along your lines for a while, personally I'd go for a less suss looking plastic, probably those clear plastic storage units with the little built in wheels.

If you were going to do open fermenting in a big way, why not make a simple "tent" out of clear polythene to act as a little clean room and have the whole thing mounted on a table.

ed: with the trundle style container you could put the lid on after primary, like they do when they seal off the bottom chamber of a Yorkshire Stone Square.
I love the W1469 and the W1187. Getting enthused again.

superstock said:
Was at Woolies earlier and they had tubs like Bribie is describing. Marked as BPA free.
New Woolies just opened in my suburb, but still thinking about the BYO fermentor option in my post above.

My plan is, if the cheapo version works, I'll do a stainless one, built to fit the fridge.

Yes, picking the yeast is going to be fun, so many good ones from the uk.

Hydronic heating/cooling under the tiles would be easy to do.

Latest posts

Back