Spun Aluminium Brewpot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Brown

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been offerred some free brewing gear, which will prevent me from having to fork out for the most expensive part of moving into all grain. On offer is a 3-ring gas burner (which I have no other info on other than that it works and easily boils a typical full volume batch) and two spun aluminium pots (not sure on any other info on these, not even the volume, but the larger one looks at least 30-40L)

So after doing some research, both the "making the move to all grain" thread of this forum and John Palmer's "how to brew" both seem to say that using an aluminium brewpot is fine. Are there any other considerations I should take when using such a vessel as a brew kettle?

Ok, so I've been offerred some free brewing gear, which will prevent me from having to fork out for the most expensive part of moving into all grain. On offer is a 3-ring gas burner (which I have no other info on other than that it works and easily boils a typical full volume batch) and two spun aluminium pots (not sure on any other info on these, not even the volume, but the larger one looks at least 30-40L)

So after doing some research, both the "making the move to all grain" thread of this forum and John Palmer's "how to brew" both seem to say that using an aluminium brewpot is fine. Are there any other considerations I should take when using such a vessel as a brew kettle?

Oh Gwad Brownie watchout for all the Ali ney sayers...

Ok I use all aluminium pots and have never had a problem. You just need to watch the chemicals and cleaning compounds you use. Napisan is fine but Napisan Oxy-Action is not. It turn one of my pots a black as Sammy Davis Jnr. But you learn as you go apparently?

Just be mindful that you will be probably using several differment metals in your set up that will all have a catalytic reaction occuring between them all. I have this situation with SS ball valves, copper pick up tubes and ali pots. If I leave water in them for extended periods of time I actually get crystals forming in the pots. It is however nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Thanks Chappo, I'll use a napisan non-oxy to clean it, also I read not to clean it so its shiny. Just need to build a copper manifold and build or purchase a wort chiller and I'm all set!

The people here with Alzheimer's disease will go on and on about how they use Stainless Steel pots only because they wouldn't want to get Alzheimer's disease from the aluminium :p

If you do manage to make your kettle go black, you can restore it back to original condition by filling it up with a hot solution of pink stain remover and letting it sit for half an hour.

In this case the kettle can call the pot black! :lol:

The people here with Alzheimer's disease will go on and on about how they use Stainless Steel pots only because they wouldn't want to get Alzheimer's disease from the aluminium :p

I forgot what I was I was going to say... :huh:

Oh yeah that's right! Never leave your taps open after cleaning up your pot otherwise the next time you use it something happens...

Chop Chop

mmm ham, better move this thread to the "Brew food" section :)

mmm ham, better move this thread to the "Brew food" section :)

If you leave PBW in them for a while it tends to chew out the Ally as well :( .
Found out after the maiden run with my shiny new 90l ally pot........

Thanks Chappo, I'll use a napisan non-oxy to clean it, also I read not to clean it so its shiny. Just need to build a copper manifold and build or purchase a wort chiller and I'm all set!

g'day all.

I've only ever used warm soapy water to clean my aluminium kettle. What's the theory behind using napisan?

Andrew

g'day all.

I've only ever used warm soapy water to clean my aluminium kettle. What's the theory behind using napisan?

Andrew

I agree. I've used an aluminium kettle for three or four years now. I've only ever cleaned it using water, detergent, a cloth and some elbow grease. Works for me.

Oh Gwad Brownie watchout for all the Ali ney sayers...

Ok I use all aluminium pots and have never had a problem. You just need to watch the chemicals and cleaning compounds you use. Napisan is fine but Napisan Oxy-Action is not. It turn one of my pots a black as Sammy Davis Jnr. But you learn as you go apparently?

Just be mindful that you will be probably using several differment metals in your set up that will all have a catalytic reaction occuring between them all. I have this situation with SS ball valves, copper pick up tubes and ali pots. If I leave water in them for extended periods of time I actually get crystals forming in the pots. It is however nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Using aluminium pots will cause you to post copiously on internet fora.

I don't remember saying that .... :lol:

All SS is lovely, but you can brew good beer with ally copper and plastic.

As was said before, just watch what you use to clean and sterilise to avoid any nasty suprises.

I've had lots of trouble with my plastic boil-pot.

I have been through 5 boil pots now, 100L, all food grade...

Plastic just doesn't cut during the boil IMO, anyway I will see how this next one goes - Its HDMPE!!

Maybe my burner is too much for them? :blink:

:lol:

Der, Cocko and Manticle the reason you are having dramas is because the plastic boil pots will only work with the plastic burners not the cast iron ones.

Seriously guys get with the program :p

Latest posts

Back