Split Batch - Weizen & Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Cracked the grain for this last night.

Pete's Wheats
4kg JW Wheat
4kg TF Golden Promise (I didn't have any Pilsner and couldn't be bothered buying any)
200g Munich
50g Hallertau @ 60min.

The plan is to mash up this simple double batch base recipe, and boil 45L-ish, but near the end of the boil, drain a bit off to a pot on the side for the Wit's Coriander,Chamomile & orange zest additions , then split between 2 fermenters

Yeasts - 3068 for the Weizen & WLP400 for the Witbier.

Brewday planned for this sunday.

Cracked the grain for this last night.

Pete's Wheats
4kg JW Wheat
4kg TF Golden Promise (I didn't have any Pilsner and couldn't be bothered buying any)
200g Munich
50g Hallertau @ 60min.

The plan is to mash up this simple double batch base recipe, and boil 45L-ish, but near the end of the boil, drain a bit off to a pot on the side for the Wit's Coriander,Chamomile & orange zest additions , then split between 2 fermenters

Yeasts - 3068 for the Weizen & WLP400 for the Witbier.

Brewday planned for this sunday.

Did a similar thing myself but used a 50/50 blend of unmalted wheat and JW Pale, the unspiced half got the Wyeast 1098 and was dryhopped with Amarillo and Simcoe. I think I prefer it to the Witt

Grabbed some chamomile,orange & coriander seeds last night for this.
I keep forgetting to properly measure my hallertau stocks, I'm pretty sure it's around 50g, but if it's a tad low, I'll throw in a few g of Saaz or Nth Brewer to make up the numbers

Started my 3068 starter last night, and as it's a bit old I'm praying it kicks off, otherwise, um... well I can always duck to the LHBS on monday as i'm no chilling these.
Should be interesting. Fingers crossed.

With malted wheat rather then raw it really is only a 'half wit', not unlike a few late night AHB posters :eek:

With malted wheat rather then raw it really is only a 'half wit', not unlike a few late night AHB posters :eek:
Raw or malted wheat - either way this will always be a compromise beer for one of the products.

As for late night posters, I have no recent experience to allow me to validate your assessment. :lol:

Still love the name. Half Wit, Jayse.

This is only my first delve into wits & weizens, Les, so hopefully the compromise is drinkable!
How does the water/grain ratio in the mash go with regards to wheat beers? Will 2L:1kg be enough... I may be struggling to get more.

What a day, double batch gone well so far, apart from getting over a cold, and the plumber finding a cracked stormwater pipe. Spent the day digging up the front yard trying to find the bloody pipe, and ducking out the back to sparge. The boil up will be interesting tonight.

Pitched the yeasts last night. OG= 1058, way above calculated, but I decided against adding extra water to bring up the volume.

Tasted them the other night
Wit SG=1030 - very orangey
Weizen SG=1020 - nothing too special.
yeah it's early days, but due to the ale malt in the recipe,I'm thinking it's tasting more ale-y than wheat-y.
Lets' just see how the final product tastes.

Thankfully the wet weather this week means I can relax with my wet towel & freezer brick methods.

Well, both have turned out pretty damn nice for a first wheat effort. Had an initial report of cidery/winey flavours, but I haven't really picked that up yet.
Just working on the label as it's my son's birthday beer - not that he can drink it for 16 years still.

Back