AG Hoegaarden Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seehuusen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've wanted to do one of these for a while, but with all the other styles I've wanted to do, the wish list keeps getting longer and longer :) LOL

Finally it has come time to plan the brew out for it, and I had a read on a couple of forums and a chat to HBHB over the phone.
He added a couple of interesting twists in as ideas, and as a result, this is the recipe I've come up with - Thanks Martin, appreciate your time and input :)

I'm keen to hear what you think of it, and any tweaks you can suggest.
Also, I decided to make my version slightly less alcoholic, if you want to hit the original 4.9%, just up the grain bill accordingly.

Cheers
Martin

Bosco Wit - Hoegaarden Clone
Belgian Wit Ale
Recipe by Bosco Brew House
BeerGlass_4.gif

Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (°P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.32 %
Colour (SRM): 4.7 (EBC): 9.3
Bitterness (IBU): 18.6 (Average)

45.16% Heidelberg Malt (Best Malz) (Pilsner Styled Malt)
30.11% Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) aka White Wheat Malt
19.35% Flaked Wheat (Blue Lake Milling)
5.38% Flaked Oats (Blue Lake Milling)

2.2 g/L Tettnanger (2.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L Lubelski (2.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Chamomile Fresh Flower - Dried @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Corriander Seed @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Curacau Bitter Orange - Dried @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

MASH:
56 mash in - 20min
65.6 - 60min
rest at 72C - 10min

Fermented at 19°C with Wyeast 3944 - Belgian Witbier

EDIT: Cleaned up the recipe look

Consider mashing equal proportions of BB Wheat & BL Flaked wheat & increase the Flaked Oats to around 9%-10% otherwise it's similar to the Hoegaarden lookalike (not clone :p ) that's on tap at Sharkbait Manor ATVM.
Same yeast but Hallertauer instead of Tettnang & 5.4% ABV.

Thanks Pete :) That is a good drop that, so good I think I got too small a glass as a taster last time ;) haha

for my benefit, I'm curious, what would upping the flaked wheat and lowering the wheat malt do to the beer?

Thanks Beercus, I'll have a look at your recipe :)

Flaked contains more starch and more proteins than malted wheat. It adds more mouthfeel and has a different taste. Most noticeable when used in larger amounts.

I ran short of flaked last time around so just used raw wheat from the health food shop. It's a little different from the one you sampled that time. :)
Ran it through the mill twice to maximise the starch haze.
Have always used equal proportions of malted & flaked in my Wits. I like the result so I keep on doing it.

Don’t forget the rice gulls!

Thanks for the explanation Pete, informative as always :beerbang:
I did wonder how it would go with raw wheat from a health food shop, did the flavor become more "morning serial like"?

A tip for the Coriander..

I use the Indian Coriander seeds from the Indian Spice Shop, I think it imparts a slight "citrus" taste..
Also, give them a quick toast in a hot pan to bring out the flavour, this also burns off a little of the outer shell, which i think give a "vegetable" taste.

ah yeah thanks, I didn't add that in the recipe, I'll be toasting them in a pan and chucking them straight from pan into pot (at 5 mins)
It helps bring out the oils in the seed, imparting more flavor. Another way to get the same result would be to roast them in the oven.

seehuusen said:
I did wonder how it would go with raw wheat from a health food shop, did the flavor become more "morning serial like"?
Sharper aftertaste with perhaps a little more "bite" to the fore & a more drier mouthfeel TTBOMM but hard to tell if that was from the raw wheat as it was my first Wit in a ss fermenter & only kegged about a week ago.
Also remember that my palate isn't a world-beater at picking up little nuances like that. :p

I'm just back from the beach & saw lots of rice gulls heading for Moffats so get down there ASAP.

What? LOL, you've either had too many or talking a language I don't know hahaha :D
I was down at the happy valley beach, saw no rice and only one gull hahaha
Also, enlighten a new player, what is TTBOMM?

Ah, thanks bd. All these "young" kids and their acronyms ;)

I made a chamomile wheat beer, 20 litre batch with 25 grams of dried flower heads (note: heads *only*, not chamomile tea, which is (all?) leaves).
These went in at flameout.

This gave quite a significant floral, honey-like aroma. I really like it, but I must admit to finding it perhaps just a little surprising to see it in your Hoegaarden recipe.
It is a while since I had a Hoegaarden though ... and really, I don't think a bit of chamomile could hurt a wheat beer.

It is only 2 or 3 grams in a 23l batch, something to linger in the background.
Definitely don't use tea, it'd make a chamomile tea beer lol

It was a hint from Martin/HBHB, who also said that it was often used in Belgium beers, but often omitted or forgotten in home brew recipes.

I'll be getting these from the local organic store, for any who's wondering where they can get them from :)

seehuusen said:
It is only 2 or 3 grams in a 23l batch, something to linger in the background.
Definitely don't use tea, it'd make a chamomile tea beer lol

It was a hint from Martin/HBHB, who also said that it was often used in Belgium beers, but often omitted or forgotten in home brew recipes.

I'll be getting these from the local organic store, for any who's wondering where they can get them from :)
Not quite. That was the Lubelski.

The Chamomile flowers is what is used in very small amounts in the Ho' - one of those things where a little goes a long way (JMHO).

seehuusen said:
What? LOL, you've either had too many or talking a language I don't know hahaha :D
I was down at the happy valley beach, saw no rice and only one gull hahaha
Also, enlighten a new player, what is TTBOMM?
Rice gulls is an old joke on AHB.......it confuses lots of people so don't feel left out.
Cheers
Steve
P.S. Your recipe is sounding like a good one.

Howdy,

I planning on brewing one of these on G20 day. I've been looking at using the byo.com recipe. Anyone tried this one before? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rohan

HOEGAARDEN WIT
5 Gallons; OG = 1.048; FG = 1.011; IBU = 16
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. pale malt
  • 2 lbs. malted wheat
  • 1 lb. flaked wheat
  • 1 lb. flaked oats
  • 2 lbs. unhopped wheat dry malt extract (DME)
  • 3 AAU East Kent Goldings hops (0.75 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
  • 2 AAU Saaz hops (0.5 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
  • 1/8 oz. lightly crushed coriander seed
  • 1/4 oz. dried Curacao orange peel, shredded
  • 1 cup unhopped light dry malt extract to prime
Step by Step:
Heat 9 quarts water to 163° F. Crush whole grains and add, with flaked grains as well, to liquor. Hold mash at 152° F for 90 minutes. Runoff and sparge with 12 quarts water at 170° F. Add DME, stir well, bring to a boil. Add East Kent Goldings hops, boil 45 minutes. Add Saaz hops, boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat, remove hops if possible. Add coriander and orange peel, steep 30 minutes.
Pour into fermenter along with enough pre-boiled and chilled water to make up 5.25 gallons. Cool to 70° F, pitch yeast. Ferment at 65° F for two weeks, rack to secondary and condition cooler (45° F) for three to four weeks. Prime with DME, bottle and age three to four weeks at 45° to 50° F. Serve at 40° F in a heavy glass tumbler.
All-grain option:
Replace the dried malt extract with another 1.5 lbs. each of pale malt and malted wheat. Increase mash water to 12 quarts and sparge water to 15 quarts. Mash time and temperatures will be the same. Proceed as above from boiling.
All-extract option:
Omit pale and wheat malts. Steep flaked wheat and oats in 3 gallons at 150° F for 30 minutes. Remove grains. Increase DME to 5 lbs., proceed as above from boiling.

Well, bit of a grave dig, but i searched near and far, even tried growing chamomile flowers - a whole packet of seeds produced nothing what so ever... even gave it to my very much green-thumbed wife...

A few days ago, i came across the wyeast wit smack pack i bought a year ago and thought, what the heck, ill chuck it on the stir-plate in a 2l starter and see if it fires up.
Sure enough, 48h in and there was great activity.

So, i brewed up a batch of wort, minus the chamomile.
I decided to change the mash schedule to a double infusion mash, 50c/15mins, 66.7c/45mins and 75.6c/mashout.
Hit all my numbers bang on.
Oh yeah, just because id been out pinching the neighbors limes the other day, i zested one and added that in with the other 5min additions.

Will try to remember to report back, maybe even bring a bottle over to Pete ;)

I have brewed the recipe in "Brew Classic European Beers at Home" Wheeler, and its very close to the original, especially if you use the right yeast.
There is no Chamomile in the above recipe, the amount of Curacao Orange and Coriander (Indian) is startling small (7g of each/100L). Both are traditionally hung in the kettle in a muslin bag for the whole boil. As a side note avoid getting Coriander into the fermenter, it has some very unpleasant alcohol soluble flavours, they wont extract until there is alcohol so its fine in the kettle.
If you want to enhance the "Whiteness" of the beer add about a heaped teaspoon of plain flour/ 25L of wort to the kettle 5-10 minutes out from the end of the boil, yes a lot of the whiteness is starch haze, and watch you arse kicking off the boil it can be a monster foamer!

The BYO recipe is pretty much what you would expect from an Americanised version of a classic recipe - I think they over complicate it a bit and if there is a hint of a spice, add so much that its like being smacked in the face with it... than add some more, they are using ~7g of Curacao in 20L, Hoegaarden use 1/5th of that.
Never could understand the thinking "I like this beer so I'll make something vaguely like it, and then hide what I like behind a OD of spice" Meh go figure.
Sure if you really like Orange flavoured beer you could add more but I think five times as much and its pretty tenuous calling it a clone.

At about 1/2 adjunct, this beer has probably more adjunct/unmalted ingredient in than any other beer I have personally brewed, you might want to give some serious thought to your mash regime, I think a reasonable Glucanase and Proteinase rest are in order, if you aren't going to step mash, pre-boil your unmalted ingredients, best would be to put the adjunct in a pot with about 3-4X the weight of adjunct in tap water, include some of the malt (10% of the weight of adjunct) and heat slowly to a simmer, boil for 10-15 minutes, allow to cool to mashing temperature then mash the porridge and remaining grain in together.

After a couple of attempts the best version I came up with was this one, I switched out the Flaked Oat for Malted Oat, just to reduce the overall adjunct load and because I was getting a lot of gels from the Oats which my Braumeister just loved, it also makes lautering a bitch, or for a complex step mash and very long slow mash day (and part of the night)
It is still in BrewBuilder Mark
Hoegaaden.JPG

Oops, that should be Bitter Orange not sweet - will fix it
M

Latest posts

Back