Speidels Braumeister. Impressive Yes. Expensive Yes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Where is the cheapest place to buy a 50L unit?
local or offshore?

MHB what was the final volume on your "Big Brew"
and can you doughin then walk away until its ready to boil?

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have been brewing for three years now and all grain about 2 1/2 of that. I have "progressed" to a Brutus 10 type single tier system. I use natural gas and jet burners. I recently purchased a panel box and other components (Pids, SSR's, heat sinks, sensors, RIMS tube etc) and added a 50 amp GFCI breaker and outlet to make the switch to electric. I have been looking at these Braumeister units for a while and wish I would have found this thread before making the aforementioned purchases!!

I still may look into selling my existing unit and going with the 20l version.

Thanks for all of the good information.

Well, I decided to sell my existing unit and buy the 50L version. Ordered it from a Florida dealer one week ago on the 21st. Two weeks to go, I'm so excited!!

...My old rig used to average around 80-85% eff with a 3V HERMS

schooey - you gotta stop calling it your old rig :eek: its the rig that went to a better home :lol:
By the way - she's had a paint job, the plug is wired up, and still punching out 80-85%
cheers mckenry

Ordered it from a Florida dealer one week ago on the 21st. Two weeks to go, I'm so excited!!
Am I reading this right - it's cheaper to buy a german made unit from the US than either here or Germany? Go figure.

schooey - you gotta stop calling it your old rig :eek: its the rig that went to a better home :lol:
By the way - she's had a paint job, the plug is wired up, and still punching out 80-85%
cheers mckenry

:lol:

pics or it didn't happen!

Glad its serving you well...

I bit the bullet and just put in an order with MHB! :D

After speaking to Mark on the phone, the advantages of buying in Australia were clear, and having Mark available if I encounter problems will be priceless.

In the end, the difference in price just didn't seem worth the risk and lack of support if I bought overseas. Hopefully this should be the only brew setup I will ever need.

I'll post pics when it arrives and I'm allowed to play with it after my graduation in June.

Well, I decided to sell my existing unit and buy the 50L version. Ordered it from a Florida dealer one week ago on the 21st. Two weeks to go, I'm so excited!!

From what i have read you order in the USA and they order and sent from Germany.....some how i think you may be a little wishful with a 3 wk turn around as it will still have to go through customs and you get notified by mail then you pay customs then they release it to Aust post.
But then you may be very lucky.

From what i have read you order in the USA and they order and sent from Germany.....some how i think you may be a little wishful with a 3 wk turn around as it will still have to go through customs and you get notified by mail then you pay customs then they release it to Aust post.
But then you may be very lucky.

I was under the impression yambor44 was from the U.S. So I don't think he/she will have to worry about Australia Post.

I was under the impression yambor44 was from the U.S. So I don't think he/she will have to worry about Australia Post.

Judging on the morebeer buckets in the background and that Blichmann system you should be right. Would've been weird to get it cheaper in Florida than Germany.

Speidel won't ship from Germany, and it is indeed cheapest to buy it from the US, but whether the saving is worth it is up to the individual. For me I have decided the saving is not worth the hassle or lack of support.

For me I have decided the saving is not worth the hassle or lack of support.

Mark is a big ugly dude and I have total faith in him and his after purchase service. Great decision.

(no affiliation to MHB .. just reckon support a lhbs and reap the rewards)

Mark is a big ugly dude and I have total faith in him and his after purchase service. Great decision.

(no affiliation to MHB .. just reckon support a lhbs and reap the rewards)

Agreed, I'll be using my Braumeister for many years to come, so the bit of extra cash now should be worth the years of service/helpful hints to come (Mark you lucky boy). He's also a Braumeister brewer so he has first hand experience getting the most out of these machines. All of this helped me make the choice.

But one of the main worries was "what if I get a dud?". Maybe a small risk, but shipping back to the US would obliterate any savings in one go. And as Mark said in an earlier post, he's had to replace one computer out of 6 sold. Thats a 17% chance going by those stats. So duds aren't unheard of even from a good German company :)

Dave

Agreed, I'll be using my Braumeister for many years to come, so the bit of extra cash now should be worth the years of service/helpful hints to come (Mark you lucky boy). He's also a Braumeister brewer so he has first hand experience getting the most out of these machines. All of this helped me make the choice.

But one of the main worries was "what if I get a dud?". Maybe a small risk, but shipping back to the US would obliterate any savings in one go. And as Mark said in an earlier post, he's had to replace one computer out of 6 sold. Thats a 17% chance going by those stats. So duds aren't unheard of even from a good German company :)

Dave

The Braumeisters we saw at ANHC 2010 were beautiful things and if readily affordable, lots would buy them. I'd have one. Hope all goes well and you make great beers for years.

The Braumeisters we saw at ANHC 2010 were beautiful things and if readily affordable, lots would buy them. I'd have one. Hope all goes well and you make great beers for years.

Thanks Fatgodzilla, I'm yet to see one in person, so I'm taking everyone's word for it that they are nice bit of kit, and more than a glorified urn :D Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Sorry for the confusion all! I am from the USA and in Florida. Thursten is our contact for the East coast. I would love to have purchased from MHB but afraid it would be a long journey for a service call if ever needed! :p I will try and fix my profile to show my whereabouts.

man i want one of these little beauties so bad, now do i risk divorce to purchase one... i think so.

They certainly look nice.

Question - If you have the 50 liter version - what is the smallest batch you can do with one of these?

I think you cna do under 20 L, using the small malt pipe

I'm also interested in how small the smallest amount of wort is possible with the 50L with standard malt pipe.

I believe the short malt pipe does 20L batches, but I'm curious to know how little liquid is required to create a sufficient flow for mashing. Perhaps 30L batches might be possible?

Knocked out batch #3 this afternoon and went and had a job interview while it was happy mashing away.Cleaned and bleached fermenting fridge and put temp probe up through the drain hole as well as cut some shelves for the 2 fermenters to sit on in the said fridge while boil was taking place.About to mill grain for batch #4 which will take place tomorrow and check carbonation in the kegged first 2 batches for the brewery Resurrection party i am having on Saturday.Have decided to rename my brewery " Resurrection Brewery" because this little brewery has really got me amped about brewing after to long away from full mashing.

Latest posts

Back