Speidels Braumeister. Impressive Yes. Expensive Yes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All.

Well I was able to get down to G&G on the weekend to check out the Speidels Braumeister in action (google it if you dont know what the heck that is).

I was very impressed by it. I did have to chuckle though, I know so many people out there have such massive aversions it BIAB but to see a company producing hardware like this at this price must mean that there is something good about BIAB. I have not tried BIAB but I have no reason to believe it is not worthy of being a serious part of AG brewing - IMHO.

Anyhow this bit of gear is worth a massive 3k. I dont see 3k worth of value in what I considered to be a fancy urn but it was pretty cool none the less. It would make for a very simple brew day that is for sure - make that a 'brew afternoon'. This thing would save a lot of time.

Has anyone bought one of these or had the privilidge of using one? What are the beers like that come out of them?

If money was no object I think I would get on board - just for kicks.

I love that there is more and more serious equipment starting to appear for the home brewer. Ultimatley it means we are going to continue to see awesome beers.

Cheers all.

I have seen these and have used one they are very good. Worth the money a 3 vessal system in on complete unit think of all the stuffing around you save by just buying this unit, no gas burners, no HLT, no mash tun just one microprossor controlled unit that does it all. I want one but cant afford it until after my renovations.

I've been reading up on them over on the german forums the last couple of days, as they are quite widespread over there. They seem to be pretty good, a few little issues but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of adjustment and experimenting.

They would definitely make the brew day much easier, but I am not sure if that's the preference of everyone on here. After all most of us love to fiddle with old and new gear and trying to find solutions and make adjustments. Brewing for most is more than a production line, it's also a hobby. Not knocking them at all, would love to have one myself, but i think I would also keep my other gear.

I think MHB from this forum has one, so i'm sure he will chime in soon.

Florian

For $2000 I have been able to source 2 fridges, 4 kegs (and kegging gear), fermenters, cubes, mashtun, burner, kettle - and 3 bags of grain and a kilo of nearly every specialty malt.

I would only buy one of these if I was going to retire and wanted an easy brew day and needed to save space. For $5000 I reckon I could build a 400 litre brew system.

I have seen these and have used one they are very good. Worth the money a 3 vessal system in on complete unit think of all the stuffing around you save by just buying this unit, no gas burners, no HLT, no mash tun just one microprossor controlled unit that does it all. I want one but cant afford it until after my renovations.

I would say that it is worth it but my problem is that I dont see 3k worth of value in it (reading that back it kinda does not make sense).

Surley there is someone on these forums with the skills and expertise to build something like this? If so, I reckon they could do it for <1000. I know busineses have to make a profit but I just dont see 3k there.

I would certainly want one of these if I was getting on a bit and had the coin. It would make for a very pleasant brew day.

Cheers all.

I think MHB is the Aus distributor for these things, I saw a bunch of them in his shop a couple years ago anyway. I wouldn't be so quick to call it BIAB, in my opinion, BIAB is a kettle, a bag, no sparge, quick and easy. When you start sparging and adding a RIMS and pumps etc, it's moving away from the original premise of BIAB and into a bit of a grey area.

You may be able to build one for less, but remember this has a built in pump and RIMS with fully programmable step mashing as well, unless you're stealing kegs, finding bits and pieces for SFA at tips, getting a mate to fab SS for nix etc (ie if you want to build something like this completely legit and for mass production like a business might have to) I reckon the price is justified. Such a tidy a unit when you see them. If I had a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket and was looking to replace my brewery, I'd definitely be considering this as an option.

I'd buy one if I had a lot of spare money. However at the moment I have to wait until tomorrow when I get paid to just get a few kilos of grain & some hops.

I like the idea, for a commercial excercise.
Pop them into small restaurants or wineries that already have a license for booze, and get them selling BOP stuff.

I think MHB is the Aus distributor for these things, I saw a bunch of them in his shop a couple years ago anyway. I wouldn't be so quick to call it BIAB, in my opinion, BIAB is a kettle, a bag, no sparge, quick and easy. When you start sparging and adding a RIMS and pumps etc, it's moving away from the original premise of BIAB and into a bit of a grey area.

You may be able to build one for less, but remember this has a built in pump and RIMS with fully programmable step mashing as well, unless you're stealing kegs, finding bits and pieces for SFA at tips, getting a mate to fab SS for nix etc (ie if you want to build something like this completely legit and for mass production like a business might have to) I reckon the price is justified. Such a tidy a unit when you see them. If I had a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket and was looking to replace my brewery, I'd definitely be considering this as an option.

Semantics - but other than M^B, most BIABers (myself included) do sparge. It helps my efficiency to be above 80%, though there is a bloke here the other day that hit 92%. I got a 70-something the other day, but I think that my new hydrometer isn't calibrated right, and without a thermometer that goes down to 20 degrees, I'm guessing. I think it would be about 74-80% after adjustment for hydrometer out.

I think that the prejudice against BIAB by some of the AG community (I would never tar all with the same brush) is that a BIABer with a good system down pat (my system works well for me) will produce a beer of similar quality as a full 3V HERMS/RIMS, without the cost/effort of building one. There is always the top % of HERMS who are out of our (and probably anyone's) league and on the same front BIABers who aren't that good or don't understand all the concepts (for example doing a protein rest or removing cold break), but the median of each, I would venture, would not be much different, because the same basic brewing concepts apply, just the equipment to make use of those concepts vary. The same concept applied correctly on each system should produce the same result.

Having said that, if I did have a HERMS system, it would be far less effort for me to sparge, as it is pretty well automated and less picking up of bags, pots and the like. And a HERMS/RIMS system would allow me to do larger batches than BIAB is effectively capable of. I think that there is the beauty of 3V - the size, scope and reduced effort.

My 2 cents and likely to start a flame war and hate PMs against me, but having seen both sides of the fence - I don't think beer quality suffers if the brews are done correctly with each system. It's the brewer's ability and application of brewing concepts that have the biggest effect on beer quality.

Goomba

I like the idea, for a commercial excercise.
Pop them into small restaurants or wineries that already have a license for booze, and get them selling BOP stuff.

That's exactly what a lot of places in Germany do. That's why Speidel not only produces 20L and 50L versions, but also a 200L one. Makes it really easy for restaurants to brew their own house beer. and it's 'only' 8500 Euros plus tax and fright for the big one...

Am waiting on mine to come direct as we speak.Two very small children means my v3 mash system has been sitting in the shed in parts for the last 4 yrs(that and working 3 jobs doing renovations and study)I will be able to make consistently good beers with very little fuss in my laundry with the door locked for child safety and not be dicking around in the shed for hours mainly as the shed will be demolished in the coming weeks.Being a fine dinning Chef i like a process that can be repeated,dont have the knowledge for wiring ,CPL etc.This product has really got me amped up about brewing again,Have cleaned all my equipment ,looking at buying a mill
(tried to get in on a bulk buy and missed out)bags of grain/stir plate /filters etc etc.Joined this forum got 3 new varieties of Hops in the ground.God am i the reincarnate of BIG KEV..im excited.

Just my 10cents as there are no longer 1,2,5cent pieces in NZ.And yes the capital of NZ is not 2Cents its Wellington.

I like the idea of doing something like this but not quite as complicated.

Basically instead of having a bag, having a cylindrical stainless steel 'basket' with a reinforced fine mesh bottom. As well as this, having the ability to hoist the inner basket using the actual pot to support the weight. Maybe even being able to turn a crank to raise the basket up and down.

The actual bag is the only thing I don't like about BIAB. It's messy and annoying.

The actual bag is the only thing I don't like about BIAB. It's messy and annoying.

That's the part I like, pull the bag out, empty the grain, hang the bag on the line (inside out), when it's dry give it a shake and a rinse and it's ready for the next one.

This machine is the one that was used on Oz's and james (James May from top gear) beer adventure, or something like that.

Don't oversell it. A newbie will read that and get the wrong idea.

This machine is the one that was used on Oz's and james (James May from top gear) beer adventure, or something like that.

They actually used a different one to this, called BrauEule (translates to brew owl). The concept is a bit different as far as i know.

Florian

I am one of the agents in Australia; I brought my Braumeister before I became an agent and became an agent because I was so impressed with the unit.
The only relationship between the Braumeister and BIAB is that both are basically full volume brewing (tho I do a bit of a flood sparge when the grain is lifted out).

Braumeister is a pumped recirculating RIMS system with a computer controlling the 5 step, time/temperature programmed infusion and boil time.
You set up the program before you start, I'm experimenting with enzyme conversion of raw sorghum Saturdays program was - Mash in at 50oC, hold at 50 oC for 60 minutes, raise to 65 oC for 60 minutes, raise to 70oC for 15 minutes, raise to 85oC for 30 minutes, lift the grain out and raise to 100oC.
That program ran unattended (actually I was over the pub having a couple of beer with Max) with a 1oC and 1 minute accuracy and repeatability. Just as easy as doing an isothermal mash.

So quite a bit different to BIAB

MHB

No, you have to manually lift it out, but can then rest it on the device for lautering. The 200L comes with a lifting 'crane', but you still have to manually start it.

Okay.

Was just thinking, if you could automate the lowering and raising it'd be pretty awesome. Fill it with water the night before, and put the grain in the basket the night before too, then wake up for the start of the boil. Hell could even have 5 compartments for hops and configurable addition times and get that automated too. Then maybe use the recirc pump as a chiller if possible.

Back