Speidels Braumeister. Impressive Yes. Expensive Yes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said had a brew day earlier in the week (another one tomorrow) and took a heap of photos, was going to get some extra ones tomorrow, including of the pump, the pix in link Florian posted pretty well cover that.

As for the filters, I modified mine, adding a drawstring that makes them much easier to use and have got about 100 brews out of them so no complaints, just ordered some more along with four more Braumeisters. I for one can't see why you would be bothered to make one out of stainless as the nylon work just fine.

Back to the Clarification/Purifying here are a couple of pictures of the wort recirculating first is right at the start second is about an hour in. The brew is a Belgian Wheat and has 34% Unmalted Wheat and 10% Oat Malt, so it is never going to be crystal clear, tho part of the experiment was to get it as clear as possible (rests at both 40 and 50oC) then up to more normal mashing temperatures.

MHB
Recirc_start.JPG Recirc_70C.JPG

Hi,

I have been brewing with malt extract kits for a while now and I want to move to all grain. As Christmas is right at the corner I will have some spare money to spare with equipment.

Basically I have two options, and one has nothing to do with the other (I know).

I would like to have your opinion. is it worth to spend all that money on the Braumeinster without having a prior experience in all grain brewing?

Here are the 2 options and prices. Sorry all the detalils are in spanis :(

BRAUMEINSTER

ALL GRAIN KIT

Many thanks in advance,
Albert

Hey Hows it going Albert ? Your up in Barcelona right now? Im living in malaga right now. What I think you should do it read this thread

[topic="0"]the move to all grain for thirty bucks[/topic]
If you have any trouble reading it i can translate it into spanish for you(but not catalan)

So the first page explains how you can do a few small all grain brews really cheaply. Now those two kits you linked too sound really expensive to me. i think you could spend about 100 euro and get everything you need to make 20 litre batches

Maybe you should try a smaller batch, very low cost brewery to start with... But if i could buy a braumeister system for that price, i would buy one tomorrow. Especiqlly as it comes with lots of extra equipment too.

I think both those systems you linked to are really quite good value for what you are getting. For me, the Braumeister, although a little more expensive would be the better choice

Hi,

Thank you both for your answers :) I will definitely take a look at that thread and probably try some batches before spending all that money.

Yes I am living near Barcelona. When it comes to homebrewing Forums I think the best of them are in English. I guess the germans are good as well but I couldn't understand more than a couple of words.

Cheers!
Al

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have been brewing for three years now and all grain about 2 1/2 of that. I have "progressed" to a Brutus 10 type single tier system. I use natural gas and jet burners. I recently purchased a panel box and other components (Pids, SSR's, heat sinks, sensors, RIMS tube etc) and added a 50 amp GFCI breaker and outlet to make the switch to electric. I have been looking at these Braumeister units for a while and wish I would have found this thread before making the aforementioned purchases!!

I still may look into selling my existing unit and going with the 20l version.

Thanks for all of the good information.

Urnest and Urnold the Urnynator twins send their love and reckon they have more fun together (as well as making twice the beer) than a lonely little Braumeister :party:

UrnieNator1Large.jpg

Urnynator1Medium.jpg

:beerbang:

Urnest and Urnold? Sounds less like twins and more like an Austrian gay couple to me - i mean, look at the fashion!

Urnest and Urnold? Sounds less like twins and more like an Austrian gay couple to me - i mean, look at the fashion!

Definitely Austrian, and gay. Glad they get locked in the garage every night.

urnboysSmall.jpg

Bribie, I've always been thinking a kids sleeping bag would be a good way to lag an urn. What do you reckon? Or maybe even cut a adults one to size.

wow getting off topic sorry

If I'm doing a single batch I do a double lag using a sleeping bag. It's just a cheapo I bought for the kids when they were about 9 / 13 so not quite adult size. The other one's disappeared otherwise I'd use both, hence the coats I got from the opshop for the double batches.

lag1Medium.jpg

lag2Medium.jpg

Double batch I use the coats, get about the same temperature drop.

lag2.jpg

doonah.jpg

:icon_cheers:

The Crown spout is much more robust than the Birko one.

Urnest and Urnold the Urnynator twins send their love and reckon they have more fun together (as well as making twice the beer) than a lonely little Braumeister

:beerbang:

Pfft... I see your measly Urnest and whatever and raise you a Bertha and Brutus.... no scandavian fashion accessories required... <_<

P1070210.JPG

You'll notice the latest 'must have' brewing accessory out of Panania, NSW...

The Cranstonator

or picnic table to the uneducated...

Pfft... I see your measly Urnest and whatever and raise you a Bertha and Brutus.... no scandavian fashion accessories required... <_<

View attachment 43214

You'll notice the latest 'must have' brewing accessory out of Panania, NSW...

The Cranstonator

or picnic table to the uneducated...

Sorry to ask a real question (out of Braumeister ignorance): So you have the urn for sparging?

Yep. The urn is just for a bit of sparge and cleaning water. Seems you can never have enough hot water on a brew day...

Is that the '20L' braumeister? What is its actual capacity? It looks bigger than 40L

Is the discharge cock (their terminology B) ) threaded? So you can plumb it into chiller, transfer pump etc?

Is there a way (or perhaps a mod you could do) to put the unit's built in pump into the discharge loop? Seems a waste to have the pump there, but not be able to use it for transferring if you want to.

Latest posts

Back