Speidels Braumeister. Impressive Yes. Expensive Yes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big problem with ordering the 200 liter model is that it has not been approved for use in Australia, this means that the first importer is responsible for proving that the unit is worthy of Australian standards electrical and safety approval, as this often involves a complete pull down, I would not want to be the first importer.

Not sure why you are concerned?

First point, It's made in Germany, not China. I would expect some quality. I have seen these units as well and they are good....

Do not get me started on Australian Standards and what they allow to enter this country.

Second pont, The 50L & 20L version is approved, I asssume, as they are being sold here.. And so have these had the BIG PULL DOWN??, I gues they must have?
So the 200L needs a full pull down. I kinow red tape and stuff, but is it really that big of a deal? Mybe it is some well set aside time in your project plan, right?

Fear

Good 5 part vid on the Braumeister

Good vid. Interesting how the wort trickles down the side of the malt pipe. How would this affect HSA. or is that just a myth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good vid. Interesting how the wort trickles down the side of the malt pipe. How would this affect HSA. or is that just a myth?
I wondered the same thing too, but it must be a myth because many are making award winning beer with this system (not to mention all the other experiments disproving it).

First point, It's made in Germany, not China. I would expect some quality. I have seen these units as well and they are good....

Do not get me started on Australian Standards and what they allow to enter this country.

Second pont, The 50L & 20L version is approved, I asssume, as they are being sold here.. And so have these had the BIG PULL DOWN??, I gues they must have?
So the 200L needs a full pull down. I kinow red tape and stuff, but is it really that big of a deal? Mybe it is some well set aside time in your project plan, right?

Fear

They are pulled down, and tested to destruction. The unit would be unfit for sale post the operation. So the potential importers are reluctant to spend the dough on a unit that effectively needs to be thrown away afterwards, unless they know they are going to sell enough of the things to recover the cost.

Does G&G/MHB charge extra for freight to the major capitals?

Can't seeem to get any info on the websites...

Fear

G&G advertise the 200l for sale on their website....

They are pulled down, and tested to destruction. The unit would be unfit for sale post the operation. So the potential importers are reluctant to spend the dough on a unit that effectively needs to be thrown away afterwards, unless they know they are going to sell enough of the things to recover the cost.

Hi TB
What are they tested against? Safety?, Standards, Making good beer?

If it's safety / standards why should they destroy it, or is it that they do not meet European and Australian Standards?

Fear

On the G&G website they mention this...
Quote - "Thefirst 200 litre Braumeister systems, with one destined for Grain and Grape small batch Wort Kitsare on the water and should be here in late July. We can't wait!"
Perhaps those wanting a 200L should get down to G&G and check it out.

I had a bit of a chat with John when I was last at G&G a few weeks ago. I was asking some questions about their fresh wort kits, which are produced for them by Mountain Goat. John was saying that once they get the 200L equipment they're thinking they might do small run "special" fresh wort kits.

This came up because I was asking about their high gravity (no 4) wort kit, which is aimed kind of in the middle of a number of high gravity styles, and therefore, by John's own admission, kind of misses all of them. Too many IBUs for most of the high gravity Belgian styles, and not enough IBUs for RIS, etc.

T.

TB,

Sorry man, I just don't get why? I am not saying that what you say is incorrect, I just don't get why and for what purpose, and for what Authority? Who does the testing, and who is it reported to?

There are many businesses that import special equipment to make all sorts of things, ice cream, sausages, cars, cables, plastics, metals & beer. Is each picece of equipment tested to destruction, where is the line drawn? And do they need to be tested at the unit level or at the process level? Or is it product based, or market based? Or is it different if you are just using the equipment for personal purposes?

In my businesss, I used to do this sort to testing whenever I changeed a significant process or equipment change. But I was bound in product and process by Australian and Multiple International Standards. In Raw materials came into too.

So Is this the same? I just don't see how?

Sorry to harp on the question, but can you or someone else explain why?

Fear.

I dont know why - sorry. I dont even know for sure that this is the case, its just what i understood to be the case after having the conversation with John at G&G. The upshot of the conversation being basically that post the required testing, the unit would be knackered and need to be completely re-built/re-wired to be used at all, and probably not something you could reasonably expect to sell to a customer afterwards.

My understanding is as drtomc said, that john is considering getting a unit for the shop, and that he would probably use the initial unit as the one that gets the pull apart treatment, then have it re-built for use in the shop. Thus not having to completely waste the cash needed to be able to sell future versions... But this is just me recollecting a conversation with john... So its not like I insist that i am right or that its any sort of an indication of the what G&G actually plans to do with these units.

I dont know why - sorry. I dont even know for sure that this is the case, its just what i understood to be the case after having the conversation with John at G&G. The upshot of the conversation being basically that post the required testing, the unit would be knackered and need to be completely re-built/re-wired to be used at all, and probably not something you could reasonably expect to sell to a customer afterwards.

My understanding is as drtomc said, that john is considering getting a unit for the shop, and that he would probably use the initial unit as the one that gets the pull apart treatment, then have it re-built for use in the shop. Thus not having to completely waste the cash needed to be able to sell future versions... But this is just me recollecting a conversation with john... So its not like I insist that i am right or that its any sort of an indication of the what G&G actually plans to do with these units.

Besides, the cost of rewiring a $15k+ system is stuff all compared to the gross cost of the unit & its shipping costs.

Besides, the cost of rewiring a $15k+ system is stuff all compared to the gross cost of the unit & its shipping costs.

If the system was 'destroyed' during the importation process, surely this would be tax deductable for a business? Fixing such a written off asset sounds pretty good since you've claimed the full cost on your tax (instead of a yearly depreciation). Kind of two bites at the cherry?
Since I am not a business owner I don't know the applicable tax elements, so I could be way out.

Sorry guys, I dont get this stuff about mangling a 200 L Braumeister.
They comply with CE standards and there are no Australian Standards for Brew House construction, for pressure vessels, yes they must be certified to comply with AS 1210.
The way the rules stand, there is no reason to pull a 200L Braumeister apart and peer at its gizzard, make sure the wiring and plumbing is done in accordance with your local standards and go for your life.
MHB

yeah me either, the 'tested to destruction' thing sounds like bs to me, maybe it's inspected and then some upgrades are required to comply to Aus Std.
Destruction ?
I don't think so.

yeah me either, the 'tested to destruction' thing sounds like bs to me, maybe it's inspected and then some upgrades are required to comply to Aus Std.
Destruction ?
I don't think so.

I agree with MHB and Yardy. You'd have to think German Engineering would meet Australian Standards. I wouldn't trust their football officials but I would have faith in their ability to manufacture beer making equipment.

All of us armchair experts are on the money; so MHB sells them, what would he know!

a long way off topic i know but....

last week, a bloke on a project in Gladstone (where i work), loses both legs because a weld done in Korea, fails.

yet supposedly, the Braumeister and similar imports are tested to 'destruction'...

go figure.

a long way off topic i know but....

last week, a bloke on a project in Gladstone (where i work), loses both legs because a weld done in Korea, fails.

yet supposedly, the Braumeister and similar imports are tested to 'destruction'...

go figure.

drawing a long bow isnt it, ffs

Back