Speidels Braumeister. Impressive Yes. Expensive Yes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - i suggest you tell the guy who is planning on buying and stocking them for future sales that he is wrong about what is required for him to do so..... I'm sure he'll be chuffed to know that a bunch of guys on the internet think he's wrong and the process will cost him large piles of dollars less than he was lead to believe.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry to take it off topic somewhat.

Now I just need to find the $$ to order one.

Fear_n_loath

OK - i suggest you tell the guy who is planning on buying and stocking them for future sales that he is wrong about what is required for him to do so..... I'm sure he'll be chuffed to know that a bunch of guys on the internet think he's wrong and the process will cost him large piles of dollars less than he was lead to believe.
Maybe it has to be tested because he's going to retail them?

Chappo's thread on the ultimate brew rig was timely for me as I was going to completely start from scratch and design and build something.

But after reading this, I'm sold on a 20L Braumeister. My budget was around the $2k mark, but seeing as I can't weld and stuffed when it comes to electricals, etc., I love the simplicity of the unit. We rent at the moment so the 20L system with a 10A plug is very versatile.

Look forward to it :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers.

Chappo's thread on the ultimate brew rig was timely for me as I was going to completely start from scratch and design and build something.

But after reading this, I'm sold on a 20L Braumeister. My budget was around the $2k mark, but seeing as I can't weld and stuffed when it comes to electricals, etc., I love the simplicity of the unit. We rent at the moment so the 20L system with a 10A plug is very versatile.

Look forward to it :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers.

And the better thing is when I showed the wife the YouTube video, she told me to go ahead and buy one :)

MHB, have sent you an email.

Cheers.

And the better thing is when I showed the wife the YouTube video, she told me to go ahead and buy one :)

Cheers.

I hate you! :icon_cheers:

If i ever come across a spare 2K to spend on brewing (unlikely) i would prob get one of these as well.
Whether or not my missus would be so willing is another matter entirely.

Nice one Duff

Cheers.

We need to get our wives to meet! Whilst mine has no problem with any facet of my brewing, if i had money to burn on a system like that, it sure as hell wouldn't get spent on more "beery stuff".

Maybe we could do like a "wife swap USA" type thing, where my wife could come and live in your house, and you could wield your magic over her subconscious..... :icon_cheers:

She has wanted me to downsize 'beer world' for some time. So she was sold instantly on the size aspect.

Another big plus for me is I can brew safely around my 2 year old girl who has a tendency to follow 2 inches behind me where ever I walk. No more gas burner and hot kettle.

Looking forward to it :)

Cheers.

So I have read all thirteen pages (again) and am thinking about cooling and hops. I see a few folks use immersion chillers, some no-chill and some would seem to gravity feed through plate chillers?

With using an immersion chiller, would you run the braumeister pump/s to circulate the wort around the chiller? This wouldn't whirlpool the wort but stir it all up and potentialy clog the pumps.
Would you just stir with a spoon every now and then during cooling to mix the wort temps and to whirlpool?

So with running through the tap to gravity feed into a plate chiller, is there a problem with whole hop flowers blocking the tap outlet hole? What sized hole is on the inside tap outlet? Wouldn't you need some sort of screen or filter to keep the hops out of the plate chiller?

MHB made a doover-lacky so he could use the pumps to extract the wort from the vessel. The problem I see with this is trying to line up the blooming thing through the wort. It still does not provide a hop blocker/screen other than the tiny pump inlet hole in the bottom of the vessell is at the side. Would this be prone to blocking by whole hops?

I suppose you could always run a hose from the tap to a pump and then further hose, if you wanted to pump out of the vessel? But this would require an aditional pump.

And then there is no-chill. I have been doing this for a while and have not really been able to lock in good flavour and aroma unless I use the Argon method but this requires another boiling at another time - kind of negating the quick and easy brew day that I am looking for with a braumeister. Comments?

Has anyone thought that they needed to insulate their braumeister? I see that Spiedel sell a 'thermo sleeve' at 88 Euro that seems like a reasonable price versus buying Nitrile rubber to make one yourself. It would increase energy effiency wouldn't it?

Malted, I guess in theory you could run the pump while immersion chilling if you switch to manual mode after the program has finished, but I would strongly recommend not to do so. I don't think it will be good for the pump.

Also be aware that, unless you preheat your immersion chiller, it will bring you boiling temp down when you immerse it, will will in turn extend your total boiling time as the programm stops the countdown until you are back to near boiling temp. Think hop utilization from late additions etc..Not a huge deal, just something to be aware of and plan appropriately.

I no chill, but am thinking of using some kind of chiller at one stage for the same reasons as you.

I also got that braumeister thermo sleeve which would help a bit. I forgot to put it on yesterday for the first time, but didn't really pay attention if it took longer than usual.

Brain is going at a million MPH at the moment,still in the middle of building my 3vessel rig,and doing the sums on what ive got left to spend,the braumeister is looking good,plus SWAMBOs got relos that live in Germany,emailed them last night and have got them on a mission
The idea is still floating around in the grey matter at the moment but its exciting never the less :icon_chickcheers:

Same story here. The other half was cranky with the amount of gear I'd built up for all grain so in the interests of storage space she was sold on the idea of the braumeister.

Wasn't so happy about the price but when she saw the size of it, was instantly more agreeable.

For those that are thinking the 20l model may be not be big enough, (i wish i had of brought the 50l, friends now want my beer and i can't brew enough,) i am always getting 27-28lts each brew, into the fermenter. After lifting the malt pipe i sparge with 8lts of hot water, shift the pipe to a 15lt pot, then sparge with a few more lts of hot water. Generally most recipes around the 4.5kg of grain mark plus sugarz. Efficiency 80-83%, i bottle so brew to around 4.2-4.5ABV after bottling.
Cheers
Briby

After watching the Youtube videos I really want one of these so bad.

Just waiting for grain and grape to get in the stainless steel filters instead of the fiddley paper ones. Then i am going to pull the trigger on a 50l model. I hear John has ordered them but no firm eta.

I am lucky enough to have some spare cash atm but to spend $3.5k on beer gear...... f&*K it you only live once.

Hi Guys,

I've recently completed my first brew on my new 50L. If you're interested in reading my report and seeing some pics I've started a thread here: 1st Brew on Braumeister

cool machines,i wonder how long till a chinese version shows up..i reckon $1500 for a 20l,sold..i fail to see where all the money is put into it.Is it the vessel?the control unit?i suppose its the overall clever design/engineering(,which is awesome)l,that you pay for.How does the malt pipe seal to the bottom of the urn,what stops the wort flowing out of the bottom of the malt pipe into the vessel instead of it being pushed up through the grain.Is the bottom domed or something?

How does the malt pipe seal to the bottom of the urn,what stops the wort flowing out of the bottom of the malt pipe into the vessel instead of it being pushed up through the grain.Is the bottom domed or something?

The malt pipe seals with a rubber ring which attaches to the malt pipe and can be removed. Once the grain is filled in, you attach another bar ontop of the malt pipe and secure that with a wing nut to the middle shaft, so the malt pipe sits absolutely tight to the bottom of the vessel.
Have a look at the pictures it it's not clear.

cool machines,i wonder how long till a chinese version shows up..i reckon $1500 for a 20l,sold..i fail to see where all the money is put into it.Is it the vessel?the control unit?i suppose its the overall clever design/engineering(,which is awesome)l,that you pay for.
I think some of the cost can be put down to the fact that German engineering and metallurgy are considered some of ,if not,the best in the world.I've seen some Chinese 'clone' imported agricultural equipment and basically it's 'third world industrial ' quality. Even at $1000,i wouldn't consider a Chinese 'copy' of the Braumeister ;)

The malt pipe seals with a rubber ring which attaches to the malt pipe and can be removed. Once the grain is filled in, you attach another bar ontop of the malt pipe and secure that with a wing nut to the middle shaft, so the malt pipe sits absolutely tight to the bottom of the vessel.
Have a look at the pictures it it's not clear.
cool,couldnt see the gasket,rather simple and effective.

Back