Sparge Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrie

Reaction score
Any of you guys adjust the PH of your sparge water prior to sparging? Or is it not necessary.

Aim for ph of 6
R/O no need close enough

Short answer yes.

Long answer, its not as simple as selecting a desired ph and acidifying to get that ph. The sparge water chemistry plays an important role. My suggestion would be to read Bru'n's https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

and water by John Palmer.

Both will explain the role of the sparge water.

After reading both, I find Bru'n spreadsheet a great tool and gets things pretty spot on when double checked with a ph meter.

I will be shortly doing my first all grain brew. I have a PH meter in the mail and am trying to get as much information together prior to brew day. I think I need to buy both John Palmer's books. I will also check out Bru'n spreadsheet also. Thanks for your help fellas. Much appreciated.

How do I know if I am over sparging, causing astringency?

'nt.
Shouldn't

I acidify mine very mildly with lactic or phosphoric. Occasionally I forget and notice little difference. Might depend a lot on your water - mine is vry soft and clean.

I have very hard water(bore) and also RO water and also access to town water if I bring some home from work. I was thinking of doing a 50/50 RO/bore water mix for my first brew?????

My bore water is:
PH ……………………………… 6.86
Hardness mg/l as CaCO3 ….. 260
TDS mg/l …………………….. 793
Conductivity us/cm2 ………. 1089
Iron mg/l ……………………zero
Manganese mg/l …………….zero
Nitrate mg/l …………………zero

I am intending to brew firstly American style pale ales.
My basic recipe is: (less hops and other non relevant inputs)
Batch size 26 litre
5.5 kg of grain
Mash, liquid to grain ratio 3.5:1
Mash in, single infusion full body, 17.5 litre
Sparge 16.19 litre

I am using Beersmith2 and was using a liquid to grain ratio of 3.5 to1 for the above. I was concerned at the 16 litre sparge re astringency. I have since adjusted my liquid to grain ratio to 5:1 to give me a sparge of 7 or 8 litres depending on my grain bill.

Manticle, how are you determining your sparge PH?

By estimation and guesswork.
If I was in a position where it was dire (eg. Shit hard water), I'd use a decent, well looked after pH meter but for my purposes a hop, skip, dash, cubit or beesdick will do.

Latest posts

Back