Soy sauce

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osprey brewday

Reaction score
Made a thai beef salad thing for tonights tea reading the back of the kikkoman soy bottle 3.2% any one up for pint ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434877035.283701.jpg
Also who keeps this in the fridge
Any one made there own

Well it is a fermented product...So if it states that there is ALC in it, it cant be a bad thing

Imagine the hangover in the morning...and the dry mouth

What mill gap works best for soybeans? Seriously if you can drink a whole pint my hat goes off to you

Seriously though. I'd cut and copy a recipe for soy sauce from here before anywhere else.

Danscraftbeer said:
Seriously though. I'd cut and copy a recipe for soy sauce from here before anywhere else.
Well.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

As it happens I do have a soy sauce recipe... its from The Art Of Fermentation by Sandor Katz. If anyone is interested I'll scan it. It does seem to take 3 years though...

Airgead said:
As it happens I do have a soy sauce recipe... its from The Art Of Fermentation by Sandor Katz. If anyone is interested I'll scan it. It does seem to take 3 years though...
You still running on a Z80 ?

I might have one in the cupboard somewhere....

The recipe takes 3 years to make.... The scanning might be a bit quicker.

A friend used to make his own. Insanely good stuff. Just that on a bowl of rice was a fine meal. Never quite found the interest to go as far as making it myself though.

Soy beans are easy to get hold of.

They grow them up here as rotation with sugar cane

Should'nt be to hard to organise a few tonne :D

Haven't done any soy sauce yet but I've made about 5 batches of miso. Only started eating 2 so far, similar to soy in that fermentation can take years... Takes a bit of patience

Airgead said:
Keen to see the recipe, plz.

[SIZE=medium]From yesterday's Guardian ... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Soy sauce spoiler alert: what westerners enjoy is the equivalent of boxed wine[/SIZE]

soy.png

[SIZE=medium]Soy sauce aficionados outside south-east Asia will be disappointed to learn that the premium product is reserved for local consumers with more discerning taste.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Soy sauce, believe it or not, can be almost as complex as wine. Dark soy sauce is richer. Light is sweeter. Japanese is thinner. And the chemical kind is cloudy. And unless you live in south-east Asia, you probably douse your rice with the equivalent of boxed wine.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Premium soy sauces sold in Asia cannot be found on western supermarket shelves, much less the local Chinese takeout restaurant. “They don’t ask for the best quality overseas as the local market here,” says Hong Kong soy sauce connoisseur Ken Wong. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]For nearly a century, Wong’s family has owned the Kowloon Soy Company, which exports 90% of its sauces to the Americas, Europe and Australia. The other 10% of the “real soy sauce” is sold in a small shop in the central business district of Hong Kong. It is that smaller percent of the business that Wong says is the tastiest. To meet the quality demands of his foreign clients, though, he makes two versions of the same product, one for the local market, and one for the rest of the world. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]At the factory, the different types of vats housing the fermenting soybeans are clear indicators that there are two products being made, and one in much smaller quantity. The premium soy sauce is brewing in about 100 clay vats that look like oversized garden planters. Decades’ worth of molds and funguses impressed into the clay add to the aroma of the finished sauce, says Wong. And the microscopic holes in the clay create a better quality fermentation, producing a thick end product.[/SIZE]

continues at http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/10/soy-sauce-asia-west-kowloon-soy-company

Latest posts

Back