Sourcing Solenoids?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

Reaction score
G'day folks,

I need to relpace two solenoids on my motorbike and wondering if anyone can suggest a good place to look.

I am going to go to JayCar and check them out as their website shows something that might work.

I have a feeling someone on here will have a good idea. There is a wealth of knowledge floating around on here :D

They need to be 12v and I need one push and also a pull solenoid.

Cheers, Pok

Ok so I had a look at the solenoids that ore on the bike have the following on them:

DC Solenoid
SHINDENGEN
S1005 Pull
1 Ohm 904

One says Pull the other Push.

I am hoping something like this Jaycar Solenoid Will do the job? (and a similar one in the pull)

Anyone with some tech know that knows whether this will work or not would be great.

Cheers, Pok

G'day folks,

Well it has come time to replace one of these solenoids on my motorbike....originally it was just a wiring problem (back in 2008) but now one has given up the ghost.

So does anyone know an austrlian source of "Shindengen" solenoids...or another manufacture that could supply a suitable replacement??? I tried a Jaycar version but it didnt want to work so I need a better one.

Anyway the one I have has the following printed on it:

DC Solenoid
SHINDENGEN
S 100S Pull
1 Ohm 904

Any help anyone can give would be great.

Cheers, Pok

A bike forum based on your model might give you a better response. What are the solenoids doing ? Flipping your number plate ? :D

A bike forum based on your model might give you a better response. What are the solenoids doing ? Flipping your number plate ? :D

I'm waiting back on some responses from solenoid suppliers and have tried motorbike forums in the past for this issue (back in 2008) and had no luck. Thought there might have been someone on here that has had experience with solenoids before (I'm sure plenty have) and might be able to point me in the right direction.

The solenoid is used to open a "boot/trunk" on the bike, it allows the locking mechanism to "unlock".

On another note...does anyone know if solenoids are serviceable?? I pulled the one that was "stuffed" apart tonight as it was sort of gummed up and I have a sneeking suspician that if I clean it up it might just work...after all, all they are is a coil of wire that induces a magnetic field. I will give it a go tomorrow anyway.

I'm waiting back on some responses from solenoid suppliers and have tried motorbike forums in the past for this issue (back in 2008) and had no luck. Thought there might have been someone on here that has had experience with solenoids before (I'm sure plenty have) and might be able to point me in the right direction.

The solenoid is used to open a "boot/trunk" on the bike, it allows the locking mechanism to "unlock".

On another note...does anyone know if solenoids are serviceable?? I pulled the one that was "stuffed" apart tonight as it was sort of gummed up and I have a sneeking suspician that if I clean it up it might just work...after all, all they are is a coil of wire that induces a magnetic field. I will give it a go tomorrow anyway.

I think you just answered your question, a solenoid, not much that can go wrong with it other than burning out due to it sticking. Being an old biker and being a bike I would say your problem is due to the elements so check for corrosion of any electrical contacts and anything inside the mechanism that could be jamming it. If you have a copy of the service and overhaul manual there should be a series of tests you can carry out on it. If you don't have that then I would be looking to see it it is a power supply problem or if it is within the soleniod itself. Could just need a good clean.

cheers

Browndog

Well I got lucky. Unjammed the solenoid, gave it a clean up....wire it back up and it worked :D

Problem solved.

Unfortunately our solenoids at work on circuit breakers normally fail terminally by burning out the coil. But for this to happen you either need an overvoltage or sustained current. The sustained current is cause by something mechanically wrong. It appears you caught yours in time so cleaning up the slug is perfectly suitable. Maybe something to check every year or so to make sure it isn't gumming up. Because if it does and depending on the control circuit it will burn itself it.

Unfortunately our solenoids at work on circuit breakers normally fail terminally by burning out the coil. But for this to happen you either need an overvoltage or sustained current. The sustained current is cause by something mechanically wrong. It appears you caught yours in time so cleaning up the slug is perfectly suitable. Maybe something to check every year or so to make sure it isn't gumming up. Because if it does and depending on the control circuit it will burn itself it.

Thanks for the info. It got left "on" so it overheated and jammed up. Well thats what seems to have happened.

Latest posts

Back