Sourcing Rice Hulls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sama

Reaction score
Im having trouble getting my hands on some rice hulls in the sydney to newcastle region.Craftbrewer do not post them.Can anyone help me in sourcing some?

It's speld with a G

:icon_cheers:

I bought some at Dave's Home Brew at North Sydney.

Hi sama,

How much are you looking for, i have a few buckets full.

Mal

Im having trouble getting my hands on some rice hulls in the sydney to newcastle region.Craftbrewer do not post them.Can anyone help me in sourcing some?

I have found that Craftbrewer DO actually post up to a couple of kilos. Just chuck them on your order and see what happens ;)

I bought some a few weeks ago from The Brew Shop in Peakhurst.

i didnt think esb stocked them,thanx all,,ive sent you a pm malbur

Just picked up three kilos from The Brewshop Peakhurst .

I luve them bung them in everything saves time stuffing around waiting for the wort I value my time

Is about 500grams of rice hulls the norm amount for a 20 litre brew? Yeah the drive to peakhurst from gosford is a bit far just for rice hulls.Tho i might get some grain/yeast/hops carted up to work (pymble) anyhow i think

Is about 500grams of rice hulls the norm amount for a 20 litre brew? Yeah the drive to peakhurst from gosford is a bit far just for rice hulls.Tho i might get some grain/yeast/hops carted up to work (pymble) anyhow i think

Sama you can buy them over the net from Brewshop them

I only use 250 gms in a 40 litre batch all grain mash (maybe more in a wheat beer)

the sparge is great

Gice hulls?

images.jpg

But made of rice :p

check with your pet stores that have stock feed for horses chickens etc. they should stock them. I went through a distributors list to their stockist.
E
astern Distributors does supple some parts of NSW. link . if gosford is near any of those places you could call those retail stockists and they should have rice hulls.

Reviving an old thread here but just wondering if the pet store style supplies of rice hulls are ok to use or is there a "human consumption" grade I should be using?

Thanks Pete, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of anti mould something or anti lice something when used as animal bedding.

Worst case scenario, the rice would have been fumigated with phosphine gas in the silo. Not an issue. Any residues (won't be any) vent off above about 50 odd degrees C anyway.

Not worth worrying about. I just give them a thorough wash in hot water in a kitchen strainer before mixing into the mash.

Back