Source For Erlyenmeyer Flasks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
Looking for a reasonably priced 2000ml and 1000ml Erlenmeyer flasks.

Smaller ones seem common on eBay but can't seem to find the big-uns.

Peter

I got a complete range including vials and loops etc. from here:

http://www.livingstone.com.au/2010/?PG=Spe...;ID=2&CAT=6

at least one of the sponsors on top carries the big ones too.

EDIT: Beaten by Silo Ted. Agree with the pricing. I love them because they were out of stock on the 2000ml when I ordered and sent me a 5000ml for the same price :D :D :D

I use livingstone... have a good collection of cheap flasks from them, which I regularly abuse and expose to big thermal gradients. No breaks or issues at all, yet!

have just opened my package from wiltronics in Ballarat

2l flask =$14.52.
also have a 1l on back order =$7.48.
Was ordered a couple of weeks ago and hadn't arrived so rang on Tuesday and told some things where out of stock.Changed the order on wednesday and it arrived this morning.
so if you order and it doesnt come within a few days give em a ring or check that the goods are in stock before ordering.

http://www.wiltronics.com.au/

Just a word on Wiltronics, many of their jars, flasks etc are so cheap because they are made from soda glass, not borosilicate. Anyone buying glasswear should always ask the question about what they're made from.

proudscum, what is your flask made of ? For $14 I would be seriously thinking about how you use it - like putting it directly on your stovetop to boil liquids, then chilling in a water bath.

Are these wiltronics borosilicate flask suitable for boil to ice bath use?

Anybody out there with experience?

Are these wiltronics borosilicate flask suitable for boil to ice bath use?
Borosilicate glass is what most 'heat proof' lab-glassware is made from including Pyrex, so it should be fine.
However, I'd still take care if you really do intend to take it straight from a boil into an ice-bath no matter what brand of flask you use. :)

that sort of performance rated glass is usually marked so and very thin to avoid thermal stresses. And expensive.

That said, I've dunked flasks full of boiling wort in normal water to measure gravity. Normal borosilicate glass handles that. Don't use commercial home use pyrex for stuff like that, it will crack at the most inconveninent time.

Looking for a reasonably priced 2000ml and 1000ml Erlenmeyer flasks.

Smaller ones seem common on eBay but can't seem to find the big-uns.

Peter

Target had 1-1.5 Lt Borosilicate jars with rubber stoppers on sale for $4.44 (clearance) just a few days ago. See if any left. These are borosilicate but I won't bother putting them on the stove. Gentle heat ... maybe.

Latest posts

Back