Sound

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB

Reaction score
Being a wanabe audiophile !!!

So what are you playing your "what are you listening to" on ?

For me

Linn Classik
Linn Ninka Speakers

Hoping to upgrade to the new Majik System in the near future.
# Majik CD player
# Majik Kontrol pre-amplifier
# Majik 2100 power amplifier Aktiv systems

sweet sound :super:

Cheers
JSB

I bought a cordless drill last year for $120 with an inbuilt am/fm radio. So when the footy's on I pull out the drill and listen to the game, or if i feel like some tunes they're only a turn of the dial away.

What more could a bloke want?

Yahama receiver
B&W 602 S2 - front speakers
B&W 600 S3 - rear speakers

Who needs a sub or centre?

Acer Aspire In-Built Factory Speakers....... GODLY.

I'll probably be getting one of those Z-5500 sets soon though.

a Toshiba Gigabeat 30Gig, but when I'm sick of all my tunes I use this...

marshall1.JPG

I'll probably be getting one of those Z-5500 sets soon though.

When ya get it, make sure you upgrade your sound card too. Dont run it on the on-board sound card. I would cry if you did that...

Nothing worth mentioning at home here.

Slightly off topic but.....
Heres some pics for a good laugh, if life was fair Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguliera would have been standing underneath their sound and lighting rig when it all come tumbling down but sadly no such luck.

AtlanticCity_1.JPG

rigging_failure.jpg

Before brewing I was into making speakers and amps :) My mains have 2 8" and 1 5" peerless woofers with a vifa tweeter and are made from HD3 which is like MDF but a shit load denser. Each tower weighs about 50kg and is as solid as they come. I dont have a need for a sub with music but made one for movies, its a 12" XLS peerless woofer with an internal volume of about 120L... plus its lead lined for some extra weight :D

I also made a clone of PassLabs Aleph 5 class A amp and Aleph p1.7 preamp, only thing left to do is finish up the cases.

IMG_1110.jpg IMG_1110a.jpg

Before brewing I was into making speakers and amps :) My mains have 2 8" and 1 5" peerless woofers with a vifa tweeter and are made from HD3 which is like MDF but a shit load denser. Each tower weighs about 50kg and is as solid as they come. I dont have a need for a sub with music but made one for movies, its a 12" XLS peerless woofer with an internal volume of about 120L... plus its lead lined for some extra weight :D

I also made a clone of PassLabs Aleph 5 class A amp and Aleph p1.7 preamp, only thing left to do is finish up the cases.

View attachment 13543 View attachment 13542

:beerbang: :super: thats ******* madness.

This Picture dosnt do it justice but :

2x Technics 1210mk2's
Pioneer DJM 300 mixer
Denon DNS 3000 CDJ

All running into an old 1970's valve amp made by Eminar. The valve amp has two stages lower and mid, dont know whats in the speakers but **** they sound good, excellent bass response for speakers so old then just for good measure i have it all running through some DJ monitors. Then all the drum n bass i can handle with over 2000 records to choose from! :super:

Bar1.jpg

Yamaha Amp/Receiver with Bowers & Wilkins

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/

B&W 601 s3

B&W 303 s3

And yes.... who needs a sub.....they might be small, but they will kick the arse of any other similar sized speakers

:beerbang: :super: thats ******* madness.

The sub has a bit of punch :lol:

To break it in I hooked up with 20Hz signal for a couple of hours while I went out. When I got him and entered the unit block on the ground floor I could feel it pumping away on the 3rd floor LOL :lol:

That looks awesome, Jye! I don't know how you can go without a woofer for music though. Even if it's turned way down, it adds depth that (at least my speakers) you can't get elsewhere.

Anyway, mine is a Sony receiver with the four crappy speakers that came with it and the woofer. I originally wanted it for movies, but it rocks for music too.

More a Home Theatre than a music system:
1x Sony Receiver (AC3, DTS)
1x SD digital set-top box.
1x SD digital PVR (80GB)
1x Panasonic DVD Recorder
1x Sony HD capable 76cm widescreen CRT TV

In development/testing:
1x MythTV PC with 400GB space

(Ahh crap... I just found this tab, and realised I didn't post the message... Doh! Well, here it is, a little late, but at least I've sent it... :lol: )

Nothing special at home, a NAD Amplifier being fed by Cheap Domestic CD and DVD players. My Speakers are those Jaycar JC30 Kits (Not enough cash to get the the Vifa Woofer).
What I do like is I have flown my cabinets with two strands of 2mm SS Cable from the ceiling also utilised as the speaker cables. :super:

My Subwoofer anecdote is I made some PA subs about 1200 x 1800 x 700 with a couple of JBL 2226's 600 Watt 15" drivers. We cranked them up for the 1st time with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers Suck My Kiss. Every time the kick drum pounded, my eyeballs were distorting and blurring my vision :D .

Mmmm 15" :beerbang:

Ive had plans in my head for a couple of years now that consist of making some towers out of concrete pipe as enclosures for each driver, and at the bottom of each tower a 15" Adire Tempest :D I can only dream that they will become a reality.

I love the concrete pipe concept. Before I had kids I babysat a couple of cabinets that had 2 x 10" Vifas.
Yummmmmmm.
PS Love those piccy's Jayse, I use them in an annual health and safty chat / presentation that I do for my Theatre. :)

The sub has a bit of punch :lol:

To break it in I hooked up with 20Hz signal for a couple of hours while I went out. When I got him and entered the unit block on the ground floor I could feel it pumping away on the 3rd floor LOL :lol:

Do you need a weapon's license to own/operate that thing?

Latest posts

Back