Sos For Some Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duck

Reaction score
Hi All,

In great expectation of getting my new burner today/tomorrow I have a strong urge to brew on Sat.

I was planning on doing a Pils while it is still quite cool and planned on using D Saaz for this.

Unfortunately my piss poor organisational skills have kicked in and I did not order from a certain HBS in SE QLD in time to get it here for the weekend.

None of the LHBS's here in Melbourne seem to stock D Saaz. Does anyone in the Melbourne East/North East Suburbs have about 90g's they would be willing to sell ?

Duck

Could the lack of availability be due to this hop being known as Rikawa now?

Hi All,

In great expectation of getting my new burner today/tomorrow I have a strong urge to brew on Sat.

I was planning on doing a Pils while it is still quite cool and planned on using D Saaz for this.

Unfortunately my piss poor organisational skills have kicked in and I did not order from a certain HBS in SE QLD in time to get it here for the weekend.

None of the LHBS's here in Melbourne seem to stock D Saaz. Does anyone in the Melbourne East/North East Suburbs have about 90g's they would be willing to sell ?

Duck

D Saaz is generally known and sold as Riwaka these days. I'm 90% sure Grain and grape had it last weekend, I don't know why it's not on their website.

Yes... D Saaz "Out of Stock" at HBS in SE QLD.

But Riwaka is in stock.

Still doesn't help with getting some in <24hrs. :(

...None of the LHBS's here in Melbourne seem to stock D Saaz. Does anyone in the Melbourne East/North East Suburbs have about 90g's they would be willing to sell ?

Duck

D Saaz is generally known and sold as Riwaka these days. I'm 90% sure Grain and grape had it last weekend, I don't know why it's not on their website.
Note, G&G do have plenty of "actual" Saaz.

Quintrex has just suggested a Melbourne LHBS that will most likely have them in stock. Give them a bell.

Ive got 500g of C Saaz you can have for free! :icon_chickcheers:

:unsure:

Ive got 500g of C Saaz you can have for free! :icon_chickcheers:

:unsure:

Yeah... not sure it would even be worth the fuel to go pick those up.

G+G don't have any Riwaka (D Saaz) in stock. Just called em.

SOS still out there.

Duck,

Just pick up the phone to the HBS in Qld, I'm sure they can have with you by tomorrow. ;)
I'm not there this afternoon, just speak to Anthony.

Cheers Ross

Had the same issue (sold out Riwaka and I asked for "Riwaka" not "d saaz") at the same provider.

Ended up using citra in lower quantities as they have a similar profile and just adjusted for flavour, aroma and bitterness:

D Saaz Description: Its powerful grapefruit citrus characters are literally breathtaking. Personally, I get peach & tangerine zest...If you want to say hops in your beer, D Saaz says it all.

Citra is a new USA hop which to us has very similar aroma qualities to NZ hops. Initial impressions - Citrus, peach, apricot, passion fruit, grapefruit, lime, melon,gooseberry, lychee fruit, pineapple, mango & papaya.

Alright the Citra description is a bit OTT, but I had it on good advice from the said supplier in SEQ (I drove there to pick it up), that in terms of achieving the same result, it can be done. I bottled it last week after 4 weeks in primary and secondary, and it is a seriously good beer.

Sorry I can't supply hops, but I can tell you what I did in the same situation.

Duck,

Just pick up the phone to the HBS in Qld, I'm sure they can have with you by tomorrow. ;)
I'm not there this afternoon, just speak to Anthony.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

Spoke to Anthony. He rocks. Order placed :)

Duck

Anthony is one of those guys that you would cross four lanes of traffic to shake his hand if you saw him walking on the other side of the street. Plus he's a total machine. :icon_cheers:

Speaking of people who rock,

Rob at Keefer Bros in Braeside Vic rocks as well.

Just took delivery of a new 23 jet mongolian inc stainless braided hose, reg, gas ball valve, burner extension pipe for <$110 delivered.

It is a thing of beauty...

new_burner.jpg

Now just need to wait for Postman Pat to bring my delivery from CB and it will be on for the weekend.

Yes I am like a kid at Xmas :p

Anthony is one of those guys that you would cross four lanes of traffic to shake his hand if you saw him walking on the other side of the street. Plus he's a total machine. :icon_cheers:

The way Queenslanders drive you wouldn't make it past the first lane.

I'd just wave.

Ross and his team are legends.

My hops just arrived.

Question tho... The Amarillo hop pouch has lost is vaccuum seal. I plan on using them tomorrow but without being frozen for about 24 hours and having lost their seal will they be degraded in any way ?

Duck

Ross and his team are legends.

My hops just arrived.

Question tho... The Amarillo hop pouch has lost is vaccuum seal. I plan on using them tomorrow but without being frozen for about 24 hours and having lost their seal will they be degraded in any way ?

Duck

Paranoid brewer hey.

They will be fine, they don't need to be vacuum sealed but it retains the freshness longer.
Brew on

Andrew

I am sure Aust Post plays football with parcels, not an optimum condition for hops but doubt it will make any difference.
GB

Aus Post has been very helpful in the past and have taken the liberty of smacking my last 3 smack packs sent to me by mail :angry:

Back