"goony" Tang

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milky11111

Reaction score
G'day.

Over the last 2 weeks I've put together two recipes, they've sat in the same area together; even sharing the same wet towel! Now I was planning to bottle both tomorrow, so today I added some clearing agent and took some final SG readings. Both are at their respective FG's however I noticed one had a smell/taste that my mates call "goony." Not being much of a poet, I'm not sure how you'd describe it, it's a off-flavoured sort of tang that you get with cheap bag wine. I'm not sure why only one of the fermenters ended up with the taste when they both were in the same enviroment. Here are the recipes:

Fermenter #1 - The K&K Version of DrSmurto's Golden Ale: Pitched 26/3/1, 20L Batch
1x Can Thomas Coopers Sparking Ale
1x Can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Steeped Caramalt
45g Amarillo
--15g @ 15min
--15g @ 5min
--15g @ Dry
US-05 Yeast
(This has also been resting in the primary for one week, would of racked to secondary but didn't have one at the time.)

Now this batch turned out great, colour, clarity and smell was perfect. I had to fight the urge to dunk my head into the fermenter and start gulping it down.

Fermenter #2 - Sort of a poor man's Tooheys new: Pitched 2/4/11, 23L Batch
1x Can Thomas Coopers Premium Lager
1x BrewCellars Brew Blend #11
250g Steeped Caramalt (You'll never guess what this was leftover from.)
36g Pride of Ringwood
--12g @ 15min
--12g @ 5min
--12g @ Dry
US-05 Yeast

This is the batch with the goony taste, I have made a simplier version of this before and it did not have this taste.

So my question is, O wise beer makers: Can you help me work out the variable that caused this tang?
The enviroment was the same, both yeasts pitched at 22*C, stored at 18-22*C (this could of gone a tad bit lower overnight.) Differences being, other then the ingredients, the Golden Ale has rested for a week, however none of my beers have rested like this (due to lack of secondary until recently,) I usually just store 'em in the back of the linen closet, at room temperature, for 1-2 months. I also swapped the second fermenters lid to gladwrap about 24 hours after pitch, but the beer was steady and was probably exposed to air for not even a minute.

Any idea's?

I'm not sure how many brews you've made, but if i were to guess it would be that the first brew has two things going for it that the other brew doesn't.

The first brew is all malt and it also has a nice whack of amarillo in it. Hops will do a pretty good job of hiding any off flavours in a brew. If i have a bad batch i just throw a heap of hops on top of it to drown out any other flavours. I've made shit beers into great beers by doing this (doesn't always work though).

Also, i haven't used the brewcellars brew blend, but i've used their yeast a few times and it has been shite.

Its all a big learning experience when you start, you'll find things you like and things you don't.

Check the date on the kit... old cans make beer that tastes like you're licking the handle on a shopping trolly.

Cheers,

InCider.

!!!
Can date! Never even thought of it.
I'll check when I get home from work.

storing cans in a warm place like a shed will cause this and will make the wort very dark as well. (threw out one of these brews last week)
i normally don't store for long periods but this kit was given to me.

Back