Sorting out the Comps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motch02 said:
Any NSW comps? Vic looks like the place to be
Grafton and Newcastle Shows are the 2 main ones I'm entering
There's also Bellingen show, but that's only a small one and is mostly locals

Yob said:
which club is going to host a specialty comp then? :icon_drool2:
Corio Bay Brewers will have a specialty category by the sounds of it: they have indicated that their comp will be for the top 5 categories by entries at the previous years Vicbrew and speciality was the largest category last Vicbrew last year.

I've started working on something to help with this competition shamozzle this morning, I hope to have a draft up and away by the end of next week..

Black n Tan said:
Corio Bay Brewers will have a specialty category by the sounds of it: they have indicated that their comp will be for the top 5 categories by entries at the previous years Vicbrew and speciality was the largest category last Vicbrew last year.
Geelong Craft Brewers' Top 5 Shootout in September will include the following five categories

Amber and Dark Lager
Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Bitter Ale
Specialty

These categories were most popular by number of entries at last year's Vicbrew. As previously mentioned by Albanian this will be held in September, prior to this year's Vicbrew. So it should be a good chance for brewers get some pre-vicbrew feedback on a range of styles they may be considering entering.

HoppinMad said:
Geelong Craft Brewers' Top 5 Shootout in September will include the following five categories

Amber and Dark Lager
Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Bitter Ale
Specialty

These categories were most popular by number of entries at last year's Vicbrew. As previously mentioned by Albanian this will be held in September, prior to this year's Vicbrew. So it should be a good chance for brewers get some pre-vicbrew feedback on a range of styles they may be considering entering.
Sorry got there name wrong. Geelong Craft Brewers.

will something like this work? will it help? is it useless?

I wanted something a little different to the current format but this is all I could do at short notice without extensive discussions with the site people..

flame suit on, ready for the helpful comments :lol:

LINKY

Looks like you've already put a bit of work into this and Im sure it will work well, I do wonder who will maintain and populate the site? I can imagine this quickly growing to be a lot of effort for someone (you) with little personal reward. Not wanting to be negative, just questioning whether this needs a dedicated website, or whether the KISS principle might be employed and we could achieve the same result with a simple table pinned to the front of the competitions and results forum.

Is there a way to somehow incorporate this info with the compmaster service?,,,do most clubs use this to manage entries?

Buggered if i know,yet to speak to anyone, VicBrew site doesn't deal with comps on a national level though so to a degree, yes

Albainian said:
Looks like you've already put a bit of work into this and Im sure it will work well, I do wonder who will maintain and populate the site? I can imagine this quickly growing to be a lot of effort for someone (you) with little personal reward. Not wanting to be negative, just questioning whether this needs a dedicated website, or whether the KISS principle might be employed and we could achieve the same result with a simple table pinned to the front of the competitions and results forum.

Is there a way to somehow incorporate this info with the compmaster service?,,,do most clubs use this to manage entries?
To answer some of this, anyone can enter the comps, it's an open board so I shouldn't have to do much beyond the ironing (I hope) comp organisers I guess can delegate the task (or nicely suggest) that it's added.

If the boards are kept to a known format, should be easy to find what you want, I'll put together a mock comp listing to show my intent :)

So I entered the Grafton HBC as an example of the format I was thinking of.

LINKY

So the idea is to just list the comp particulars, comps can get buried here pretty quickly, moreso some details of the comp that are added in the middle of the conversation.

so if Im looking for a NSW comp, I can go right to it pretty much (or any other state clearly)

Im all for discussions to remain here, the intent is not to drive conversation there just the event particulars.

@DU99, I'm to be meeting with Vicbrew and contacting as many of the other big comp organizers as possible to see if it cant gain some traction. I dont think the task needs become an onerous one, but the benefits are that there is a National database of all comps, something thats been missing really. If we can get more people knowing about the comps from a dedicated site, that will ultimately do 2 things, bring in more people to competition brewing and bring more people here (possibly) to discuss them.

good stuff mate, it would be nice to go to one place and navigate around to see all the comps, it seems that things are only going to get bigger and something like this needs to happen :)

If there's one national website that covers all comps then all comp masters only have to go to one place. If we have it on this board, and that one, and another way over there the likelihood that everyone will have access to lists of and information about all the comps is less. I think this is a great idea.

Yeah, Mardoo, but the assumption is that everyone will access AHB, just as they will access a National database.

Vicbrew committee discussed this last night & it was considered "too hard" unless all states buy-in equally to participate.

MartinOC said:
it was considered "too hard" unless all states buy-in equally to participate.
I'd suggest that these are the main obstacles to overcome, the short sightedness of, we'll just do our own thing needs to be addressed, certainly that mentality does nothing to further the home brewing scene, to generate extra interest, help navigate, find or promote events.

The national database can still allow for a singular track process from such organisers and as such would only need to deal with their own events, the idea is to provide an environment where all the 'single tracks' converge

I spoke to some other folks on the weekend about it with much the same hesitations, I guess I just need to get some buy in from the big players, everyone agrees in principle it's a good idea, so, let's confront the obstacles and overcome them.

So how do you create a comp? The link above seems to just take me to a discussion style board, when I sign up/log in, I see "Start Topic" as my only choice.

Latest posts

Back