Sorting out the Comps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
so as not to bog down the Beerfest thread with all this, here are all the relevant posts I think..

HoppinMad said:
Yes this is correct. Check the Vicbrew events calendar carniebrew. May 24th is the set date for the IPA comp.

Albainian said:
Geelong Craft Brewerrs are pencilled in to host our inaugural comp on 14 June. This date was selected on advice from VicBrew that the Merri Mashers were hosting their IPA comp on Sun 24th May and Westgate on 5th July- we picked a date in the middle...Carniebrew, I cant check or send pm's from work PC for some reason but will be in touch when I get home to discuss.

fergthebrewer said:
Yes , Stout Extravaganza will be Sunday July 5th
Regards
Ferg

carniebrew said:
I just realised June 7 is the Sunday of the Queen's birthday long weekend (republic please!). So we will likely push to June 14.

It might be a good idea to add these comps to the community calendar here also? They advertise for a week prior so is a good Idea to get them all in there I think.

I'm by no means the authority on the subject but I believe it will happen, I seem to recall discussion about it at the last meeting.

Our Merri Masher IPA comp date is certainly a bit of a clusterfuck at the moment (enemies everywhere! every date has competition!) but we promise to resolve it all soon. Just keep on planning those IPAs!

Yob said:
I'm by no means the authority on the subject but I believe it will happen, I seem to recall discussion about it at the last meeting.
I've been chatting to Andy D about stuff this week, and he said something the other day about "with us not running an extra comp this year...", so I assumed Beerfest was it for the Melbourne Brewers this year?

Vicbrew calendar doesn't show any comps happening in June, which is why we were assuming it's clear. May 24 was never a committed date, always just something we were working towards.

June 14 looks like the right day for us now, any reason MM and GCB couldn't run comps on the same weekend?

Who updates the Vicbrew website, so we can get our date changed? To be honest it should have been TBA rather than May 24 to start with.

Also, one of the reasons we chose May/June as the date range for our comp was so that it would be long enough after Yarra Valley's Belgian Beerfest (April), and long enough before Westgate's Stout Extravaganza (July). Slotting another Vic comp in between ours and those would have been making things really crowded no?

carniebrew said:
Who updates the Vicbrew website, so we can get our date changed?
I've been trying to get onto the Vicbrew Secretary (also webmaster) recently to call the first VICBREW meeting of the year so we can get the ball rolling, sort this Comp. shit out & also offer some advice/assistance to the MM's for their comp., but he's gone quiet of late.

Leave it with me & I'll try him again to get some action (in the Comp.-context I mean, NOT the other way.... :p ).

good work starting this thread...Im sure we will get it sorted...I guess with so many clubs these days the calendar is really crowded. It is a challenge to find dates that arent in conflict with other major events or too close to other comps... we had originally flagged June as our preferred date, and recently finalised on the 14th based on the VicBrew calendar - in an attempt to be mid-way between the Merry Mashers and the Westgate comp.

Albanian, are you the official contact for the Geelong boys?

I just sent an email to the Vicbrew committee to get the ball rolling for this year (also to sort this Comp. shit out), but I've lost a few email addresses somewhere.

If so, send me your email details by PM & I'll get you added to the distribution list (hopefully!!). If not, please provide one & I'll get it sorted.

What are the WASABC dates? The website hadn't been updated since last year's results went up.

Had a chat to a couple of our Committee members this afternoon and we will stake a claim on Saturday 5th September. This leaves June free for Merry Mashers and is about a month before VicBrew...which is appropriate as our comp is the Geelong 'Top 5 Shootout' which will be open to the five most popular categories (by no of entries) at the previous years VicBrew. As brewing and drinking tastes evolve we envisage that our categories each year will change over time....Its only a matter of time until Saison's are on the list!!!

Yob said:
That's what is says on our licence plates, must be true..
Due to some administrative stuff-up, they accidentally excluded the last word on our state plates:

... fined.

Yob said:
Who does specialty these days apart from VicBrew?
no one in Vic, a couple of years ago beerfest did bat alas no more.

Latest posts

Back