Soft Belgian Candi Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning to make a Trippel using the Brewferm kit. Would it be alright to use the Soft Candi for it ? just for something different then your average Trippel, or would it would not be a very good mix, do you think?

I'd use plain old white sugar if you're looking to make something similar to an actual Belgian Tripel.

If you're going to use the soft sugar, it will make it considerably darker than normal, as well as changing the flavour quite significantly. Certainly give it a go though, it'll probably make a great Belgian strong ale!

I used german ale yeast in my tripple because

1 I had it over , after a grumpy's bavarian bock

2 the Brewferm kits had reached their useby date and I thought the the yeast incuded may be a bit sus

anyway it worked

why not! i think your beer sounds interesting.
a more neutral yeast rather than a belgian one will probably get you into 3 monts / strong blond biere de garde territory

If not a pale bock. The toffee flavours would complement it well actually, plus it'd have the advantage of making german brewers cringe :)

don't forget ,

I only paid $8 for the Brewferm can

sugar about 40 cents

as to the aging question

I normally drink my brew after 6 months

no probs yet

maybe I'll check the tripple each month , and stuff it , drink it all in one go

any takers

What benefits do you see from ageing your beers so long, Rod? I can see that being a good idea for some styles, but hoppy styles are definitely better younger than that IMO, wheat beers too.

What benefits do you see from ageing your beers so long, Rod? I can see that being a good idea for some styles, but hoppy styles are definitely better younger than that IMO, wheat beers too.

I only drink one bottle , but like to make different styles on hand

I have about 600 grolsh bottles and it takes more than a year to get thru them

I also find that when I age my brews they generally improve , mind you I am making heavy brews

Latest posts

Back